Neve BCM 10 Direct out questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berkleystudios

Hey guys. Working in LA on a BCM10 just for a few more days.  Some crazy wiring jobs have been done to it and I'm just finishing it off.

I'm not the best of techs, don't claim to be. So I could use some help with the post fader direct outs. The mod is already been done to it. But it is coming out at -10 with the fader at unity.

Is it possible to just have a passive box of step up transformers?  Or do I need an amp driving them?

The BCM had been in production for about a year when I joined Neve in 1974. It was their first 'standard' console'. The BCM was never designed to have post fader direct outs. You can take a pre fader direct out from the channel amp  balanced output but from thereon the signal is unbalanced at about -8dBu. You can take an unbalanced post fader direct out but it will be around -10dBu even with the fader at the top. Without adding extra amplification that is the only option you have. Unfortunately, this is the same signal that feeds the mix buses so the opportunity for ground loops is very high. I would not recommend this mod. Far better to use the balanced output from the 1073.

Here is a link to the 1895 docs:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_n67A1hN3qtUi1IZHFJUHBidW8

Cheers

Ian

Back