Tascacm/Teac Portastudio Pwr XFMR

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
looks like we finally hit rock bottom with this tear-down,

this is a 120 to 11.5 x 2 VAC job, aka, wall wart,

evilbay wants 70 bucks when you can find them, has a weird plug so hard to cross ref,

used one probably will blow up too,

since this thing is screwed and not glued, we can do a 3 day rehab,

where are the specs?    right on the boiler plate, menso,  ;D

Attachments

• d.jpg
    d.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 22
hippies out in San Francisco would probably just trash it and watch Manix on the tele,

because they have a life,

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 25
has a glass fuse on the circuit board and another thermal hidden in the winds,

these cheap imports get on the fightin side of me,

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 26
and finally the print,

how do i feel about this transformer? better than misery and gin,

it's not love, but it's not bad, if it makes it thru December, i'll be happy,

Attachments

• Tascam AC Adapter.png
    Tascam AC Adapter.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 19
Hi CJ, can't find my notes at the moment, but it was the MKIII, not MK2.  The DIN pins are paired up, two ground and two each 11.5vac.  There is a photo of how they are grouped at the bottom of this link: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/816449-modding-tascam-424-mkiii-portastudio.html  Find ground in the unit and put AC on the others!  I used a torroid with dual 12v windings because it's getting rectified and regulated anyhow and either a 5 pin or 3 pin DIN - whichever fit.  Sorry for my crappy memory  :-\

did you bother figure out what was wrong (thermal fuse?).

Those split bobbin transformers are a pretty good way to insure high insulation resistance between primary and secondary.

Do you hi-pot your transformers?

JR

this guy was overheated,

maybe a problem with the Mixer itself

bobbin was melted

both pri and sec were scatter wound with no insl.

we wound  smooth layers and used interlayer insl, no i do not get hi on pot anymore,

DIY hi  potter would be a cool project, can you draw me a quick circuit?  :D

CJ said:
no i do not get hi on pot anymore,

DIY hi  potter would be a cool project, can you draw me a quick circuit?  :D

Here is a DIY rig I whipped up to make (almost) 500V to test the insulation resistance of my outlet tester before I darkened UL's door. They require 100M @ 500V.

The rig is simple, 4 identical transformers with all the secondaries connected in parallel. 120 VAC is fed into the first primary, and the other three primaries are stacked in series, making an auto-former with roughly 4x mains voltage (confirmed)

To measure my 100M input resistor I used a VOM in current mode, and calculated backwards to impute the resistance. Using this Rube Goldberg test rig, I estimated my 100M input resistor was only delivering about 50M of insulation. 

I did not have much faith in my test rig, but luckily a friend had a megger laying around that he wasn't using and lent it to me.

Surprisingly the fancy fluke tester confirmed my crude measured short fall in insulation resistance.

Once I trusted the measurement data I dug deeper to discover why my 100M resistors were not behaving and got a little quick education about SMD resistor voltage.

Small SMD resistors are only rated for 50-100V.  At 500V stuff happens. To get 600V rated SMD resistors involves going up to 2012 or larger smd packages.  :eek:

JR

PS: I am not comfortable with 500V diy, but if careful you should be OK. I put a small fuse between the first secondary and the other three, but it could still easily kill me long before that fuse blew.  :eek:

Attachments

• highV.jpg
    highV.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 20
here is the DIN pinout for this Tascam supply,

and we had a color code wrong on the print which has been fixed, thanks to the Gearslutz link,  :D

Attachments

• 424-mk3-wiring.jpg
    424-mk3-wiring.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 8
Back