SPL Iron vs. Phoenix

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glazer56

For those of you who do mastering, and might own or have used an SPL Iron and/or Thermonic Culture Phoenix, which would you buy if you could only have one compressor in your mastering rack?  I'm leaning towards the SPL for versatility, but I'm intrigued by the sound of the Phoenix, I've just haven't had a chance to use one. Any insights would be appreciated! 5K+ is a lot of cash to drop on any piece of gear!
Thanks

A friend who does mastering for a living is going to get an Iron. We´re going to shoot it out with my VK1 clone and a few others in the next few weeks. If you´re not in a hurry I´ll keep you updated about our results.

the best insight would be choose with your own ears - especially if you are going to drop 5K !

when you buy a car you go to retailer and test drive it, you don't buy just from magazine reviews or other people opinions

in my opinion the phoenix sounds very very nice, although tubes can be a bit unreliable over time regarding stereo matching

don't know about the spl

happy hunting

[silent:arts] said:
We have one Phoenix (Mastering Edition) at work.
For stereo it is not usable IMHO.

:eek: surprised to hear that!
messing with the stereo width ?

You need measuring equipment to get both sides equal.
The Output control for example is a very cheap pot.
Detented,  since it is the mastering version ...

Latest posts

Back