Frequency cuts in the control amp of a compressor - what's effective?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwayfair

I've been using a plugin a lot for the last year that has a "low-end relax"; I'm pretty sure that it's a bass cut only in the detection circuit. I also know that there are some commercial compressors that have controls like that.

I figure a treble cut works more like an attack control, which I've already got.

A bass control, though, might be legitimately useful. But I've never used an analog compressor that had one.

In the plugin I use, -3dB between 110 and 200Hz  or -6dB between 60 and 120Hz usually gets me what I'm after. Would those be good spots in the real world as well? I'm just looking to keep the (much bigger) low mids and bass from suppressing the midrange so I can retain a bit more natural sound when running it on the bus.

It's an 1176 modified for some extra stuff (more ratios and an altered attack control) but the control amp is the same.

I'll be doing some experimentation, but I want a starting point and to know if there's something I might be missing or if it's just a basic low-cut in the control amp.

Latest posts

Back