Brexit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BoJo might think it's a sword to cut the Gordian Knot in parliament, but it is also the wedge that will split British society fully apart
The problem is that all other avenues have been exhausted over the last three and a half years.
There was no majority to revoke article 50
There was no majority for a second referendum
There was no majority for May's deal thrice over!

What has become clear is that there are a lot of MP's who want to ignore the referendum result and try to stop it from happening.  This is what is frustrating the less restrained members of the public and they are lashing out because they see their democracy being subverted.  This is the real danger to the UK at the moment.

Even though I voted remain, I respect the result and just want a line drawn under it so that we can all get on with sorting out the consequences, constant delay is just making everything worse.

DaveP

fazer said:
How’s the election going. For all the Brit DIYers.
Barely started. It is raining in much of the UK and snow and storms are expected up north. I have a physio appointment at 4pm and we intend to go vote after that (it is now 2.36pm).

Cheers

Ian

Polls close at 10pm UK time, with first results coming in around midnight.

We won't know the final result until the day after, but it looks like Boris will just get a working majority.

People still count paper ballots over here, which takes longer, but we don't get your problems with punched holes etc.

DaveP

Three possible outcomes, none of which will please everyone.

1. Boris wins and we get Brexit.
2. Corbyn wins and its back to 1970 Marxism and being the sick man of Europe
3, Yet another hung Parliament and five more years of pontificating lying bastard politics.

Cheers

Ian

I have some good friends from England that we’re over in the states back in October.  We talked a lot.  They want Brexit but really want this over one way or another.   

Harold Wilson, Ted Heath, marxists?
This is how we understand labour policy from the 1970's.........

1) Living within your means is now called  "Austerity".  A nasty thing.

2) Living beyond your means by borrowing is now called "Investment", now its not so bad is it?

If we ran our household budgets like a labour government we would be called wasters living on credit cards.

The 1970's were the worst of all times for the UK, except for the music of course.

DaveP

DaveP said:
This is how we understand labour policy from the 1970's.........

1) Living within your means is now called  "Austerity".  A nasty thing.

2) Living beyond your means by borrowing is now called "Investment", now its not so bad is it?

If we ran our household budgets like a labour government we would be called wasters living on credit cards.
  It's the usual cycle; the right saves money, the left spends it. Like an undamped oscillatory system, never reaches equilibrium, permanent sinewave...

Admittedly, Wilson, though a baron, was labour, but Heath was tory, wasn't he?
I have a feeling the accusation of marxism in his case, is entirely due to Mrs Thatcher comments about  his predecessor - anyway, who was not a marxist in Mrs T.'s opinion?

The exit poll predicts an overall majority of 86 seats for Boris; an 11% swing towards the Conservatives. The largest Conservative majority since Margaret Thatcher. The markets have reacted strongly. The £ is already up to $1.35

Cheers

Ian

I wonder if George Soros is short the pound again... He made $1B on that trade back in '92 but looks like a short squeeze now vs the euro or dollar.  I'd love to hear he is on the wrong side of that trade now (Karma).  ::)
===
Good luck.. looks like the future of Brexit may be a little more predictable from here.

JR

8.41am and all the results bar one are in. The Tories have a majority of close to 80; more than enough to legislate without interference. To the best of my knowledge this means we leave the EU at the end of January 2020. The leaders of the USA, Australia and India have all said they want a trade deal with the UK. To my way of thinking, the country has said, OK Boris, here's a nice majority, now get on with it.

Time will tell.

Cheers

Ian

I am proud of the British electorate for their common sense.

They saw  the referendum result being frustrated  and obstructed in Parliament and the people responsible for that have been severely punished in the polls.

Corbyn trotted out massive bribes and last century nationalisation, but they were all soundly rejected  by a thinking electorate.

DaveP

DaveP said:
I am proud of the British electorate for their common sense.
What poll are you referring to? If it's today's vote, I tend to agree; Brexit has been dragging like a dog's turd to the sole of Brit's shoes. But I really doubt Brexit in itself had anything to do with "common sense"; it was the result of disinformation and creating a scapegoat for a number of structural issues (shared by many other countries BTW).
Anyway, there is nothing common in common sense; your common sense is quite different from your neighbour's, it's probably different than mine. What we call common sense is the result of a very individualistic experience, strongly tinted with our environment; our judeo christian background tends to make us believe we all think alike but it's only in surface.

They saw  the referendum result being frustrated  and obstructed in Parliament and the people responsible for that have been severely punished in the polls.
Have they? Hasn't BJ himself been responsible for confusion with his sudden turncoats and promises he knew were unsustainable?

Corbyn trotted out massive bribes and last century nationalisation, but they were all soundly rejected  by a thinking electorate.
"thinking electorate": great oxymoron!

By Common Sense, I mean that they saw (as you delicately put it) that Brexit needed to be dealt with so that we can move on.

Have they? Hasn't BJ himself been responsible for confusion with his sudden turncoats and promises he knew were unsustainable?

Jo Swinson (main remainer) lost her seat, so did Chuka Ummana.

DaveP

Latest posts

Back