Brexit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is some worry here about how the Irish fishing industry will be effected by this , lack of investment over the years has reduced the fleet to a fraction of its former capacity . As it stands Norwegian cod can cost about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of fish landed by Irish boats. The modern super trawler/factory ship is just so much more cost effecient the smaller Irish fleet just cant compete . The modern big ship can gut filet pack and freeze fish within minutes or hours , the little guy has to steam back to port every few days to off load .

I live a few miles from the coast and although I never worked on a commercial fishing boat , I know a few who did . Not for the feint hearted thats for sure ,  portside misadventures due to alcohol and work related accidents at sea were very common .

There was also shady stuff going back to the troubles here  , last night there was a TV documentary about the trawler 'Marita Anne'  and the connection to Boston Mob . Lots of stories of fishing boats getting dragged/sunk by submarines operating off the Irish coast to . Interesting article on the subject below from the mid 80's .

https://magill.ie/archive/danger-under-irish-sea

In a couple of hours it will be a reality.

To paraphrase The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy; so long and thanks for all the fish.

Cheers

Ian

It didn't take very long before the UK govt started breaking promises:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/09/pesticide-believed-kill-bees-authorised-use-england-eu-farmers

Thiamethoxam, the neo-nicotinoid responsible for colony collapse with bees has been allowed as emergency pesticide on sugar beet seeds. What's worse? No sugar or no bees?

cyrano said:
It didn't take very long before the UK govt started breaking promises:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/09/pesticide-believed-kill-bees-authorised-use-england-eu-farmers

Thiamethoxam, the neo-nicotinoid responsible for colony collapse with bees has been allowed as emergency pesticide on sugar beet seeds. What's worse? No sugar or no bees?
I have been following the subject of colony collapse disorder for years because food and bees are important.

While EU banned several pesticides (neonics) in 2012, there is a longer list of suspects for colony collapse (including mites and climate). I searched and didn't find a definitive study proving that neonics caused colony collapse, including studies that exonerated them.

Many bee colonies collapse over the winter months, so I guess global warming should be good for the bees.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I have been following the subject of colony collapse disorder for years because food and bees are important.

While EU banned several pesticides (neonics) in 2012, there is a longer list of suspects for colony collapse (including mites and climate). I searched and didn't find a definitive study proving that neonics caused colony collapse, including studies that exonerated them.

Many bee colonies collapse over the winter months, so I guess global warming should be good for the bees.

JR

I've been reading about everything I could get. And talking to beekeepers. There are regional differences, which makes the picture unclear at times.

One thing that's clear, however, is that pesticides are involved. Varrhoa is also involved. Could be due to a mutation in one of the other species (think fungi, bacteria and virii) involved.

In Europe, in areas where only clean agri is allowed, there's no CCD. None at all. There's Varrhoa, of course, but it doesn't lead to CCD.

The US situation is quite different. In Europe there's no bee insemination industry. Nobody is transporting bee-hives...

I can't get a picture of what's happening in the US. I bet it's like Lyme disease, where we've only recently discovered essential differences between continents.

My grandfather, who was a farmer and beekeeper would be shocked by the idea of trucking around beehives on a regular basis. Seems like a perversion.

cyrano said:
I've been reading about everything I could get. And talking to beekeepers. There are regional differences, which makes the picture unclear at times.
like africanized bees?  This has been a topic of study for a long time.
One thing that's clear, however, is that pesticides are involved. Varrhoa is also involved. Could be due to a mutation in one of the other species (think fungi, bacteria and virii) involved.

In Europe, in areas where only clean agri is allowed, there's no CCD. None at all. There's Varrhoa, of course, but it doesn't lead to CCD.
when I did a search the other day I didn't find that.

The USDA bred mite resistant bees,,, 
The US situation is quite different. In Europe there's no bee insemination industry. Nobody is transporting bee-hives...
large scale commercial agriculture likes to manage things like that... I think almond farmers were the latest group of farmers worried about adequate pollination.
I can't get a picture of what's happening in the US. I bet it's like Lyme disease, where we've only recently discovered essential differences between continents.
I might be tempted to bet it isn't, but I know I don't know.... How do we determine who wins that bet?
My grandfather, who was a farmer and beekeeper would be shocked by the idea of trucking around beehives on a regular basis. Seems like a perversion.
I "perversely" considered hosting a hive or two on my acre+ but decided against (I don't need yet another hobby, and don't eat honey, while it can be fermented to make mead). I see plenty of bees in my yard (they like my clover etc). 

I have exterminated more than one yellow jacket colony on my property in recent years (I don't like yellow jackets). The last colony I killed with Neem oil that seems pretty safe, for humans, not so much for yellow jackets..

JR

You won't find some of the latest research on the net yet. It hasn't been published.

There's a number of beekeepers on the Raspberry Pi forum. They've developed a bee counting system, consisting of a RPi and a camera to monitor colonies. It detects and counts bees going in and going out. That helped a lot to distinguish between causes of losses.

Some info is available on the net, but it's in French and German. Google still ranks other languages as less important. Switching to google.fr or .de is necessary.

Have you tried Google scholar?

Had seen that one too. I liked the part were a driver asked whether it was possible to 'surrender the meat and keep just the bread''. Really funny.

Private meat imports are banned in many (most?) countries, including Japan. What sometimes works over here though is to pack together with a chew toy and explain at customs that those sausages are utterly not for human consumption -- it's a present for the neighbour's dog.

Theres a lot of gaps on the shelves in the supermarket I go too , obviously Lidl source many products for the Irish market from their UK suppliers , language and packaging being the same. I'm not sure if these are just short term teething problems or a signal of worse things to come .

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/13/fresh-seafood-exports-scotland-eu-halted-fishing-brexit

Easiest trade deal in history folks!

Back