MID-SIDE ONE

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahib

Before the jargon first I would like to thank my good friend Udo for his feedback on this build and  input in preparation of the manual. He has extensively tested the module.  Therefore apart from the technical specifications I will leave it to him to  explain the module in detail.

A new 500 module to complement our 500 series system.

MID-SIDE ONE

Mid-Side encoding and decoding as a standalone “500” rack module.

The facilities available are;

• Selection of L-R or M-S input.
• Selection of M-S or L-R output.
• Switched insert points on both the Mid and Side paths.

This allows the use of external EQ and different degrees and types of reverb on the M and S channels. This can produce spatial ambiance that is not easily possible to create by simple processing of the L-R stereo mix.

Please note that the module naturally works with any 500 series racks with normal inputs and outputs but the insert points are only available if your 500 series rack supports these functions. However, a mod kit will soon be available for creating  insert points on existing GDIY 51x or any other standard 500 series racks.

All of Total Audio Control 500 series racks feature insert points. Normally the insert points are unbalanced but can be converted to balanced using Total Audio Control BALANCING CARD.

• Mutes on both the Mid and Side paths
• Variable 80Hz to 3.3 kHz High pass filter on Side path.
• A stereo “width” control – mono/stereo/wide
• Metering switchable between input and output.
• +10dB meter gain switch.
• System “IN” switch

MID-SIDE-ONE.jpg

MID_SIDE_ONE_1.jpg

Preliminary build manual http://www.robotica.co.uk/tac/MID_SIDE_ONE_MANUAL.pdf

Available for purchase in the White Market;
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=52462.msg668904#msg668904

Hello there,

last weekend I had the honour to build the first kit.

Getting an MS module in 500 series format kept me dreaming for about two years.
But always the question:How could it work in a two modules width when you need 8 (eight!) I/Os for it?
A standard slot only has two XLRs......

Getting prepared/infrastructure:

The solution is a TAC rack:
Except of the standard XLRs it provides three (!!!) additional quarter inch jacks -per slot(!)- for different purposes which can be seperately switched to several functions.I have the debal./balancing card fitted on the two first slots.It takes care of all you need,eg. turning the rack to a comfortable splitbox at line level and fully balanced.
Or handle this fantastic ms matrix called "MID SIDE ONE".
And a lot more......
For the matrix the jacks provide the insert sends (on outputs #3) and returns (on inputs #2),as said fully balanced at line level.
And as if this isn´t enough the outputs #2 can carry a signal to your choice,whether from the modules´inputs or the matrix outputs.Done by jumpers on the main board.
Plus the insert sends always carry the signals you chose on the frontpanel for input mode.
Now that´s awesome,isn´t it?

The modules' functionality & look:

What can I say....outstanding it is!
It has really all functionality I can think of.
Main I/Os can be switched to L-R or MS processing....in any combination.
Inserts are switchable for easy comparison.
Both M and S have a mute switch.
Meters can be switched to read In- or Outputs and have a +10dB switch to increase their sensitivity.
System in bypasses the unit.
It is dead-quiet.
And there are two further "weapons" on board.
A width control balances the mid and side signals,while the filter is a high pass in the side signal making it easy to clean up all the mud and smear one might have in the bass range!Often known as "monomaker" in plug-ins,but here you have it and you can touch it....it´s analogue,the real deal!
My favourite tool on the module.Both switchable of course.And both the width and filter are there all the time without having to insert any external gear.They are permantely located between encoder and decoder,meaning even you choose L-R mode for both Input and Output!
Fantastic!
The module is super-intuitive to handle,everything sits where it belongs.Take it for any needs,whether to treat signals,recordings in ms mode or mastering.
Don´t want to talk much about sound and start boring discussions "digital vs. analogue"again,I have the well-known plug-ins too.
This beast is analogue,fast,deep sounding at a wide frequency range.
EOM.
It is black on the front using the same knobs,pot caps and layout like EQ ONE so fits them well visually.
In summary a "mens' toy"........

Building the MID SIDE ONE:

It is easy.
If I can do it then you can do it.
Some soldering skills,a steady hand and -as always- patience will do it.
The package came with baggies all having clear writings on them.These then contain smaller ones,the single parts have writings on them too.Even the values e.g. on the resistors or caps!
Although I always recommend (if I may) to check parts as far as possible prior to soldering.
All bigger bags form a complete building block.These are then assembeled mechanically using hex standoffs.
The module consists of five boards,the main,the I/O on the second slot position,a switchboard and two boards for meters.All connect via ribbon cables.Even easier to build than the EQ ONE.
I did not have the build manual,so I built it right after the bom.Of course Cemal helped me at some steps when it came to some little "oddities"in the bom.These were easy to clear up though.
As said it did it over the last weekend.After testing I found it to be fully working,really no issues at all!
Measuring turned out to fully match every specification,there is a nice chart of all possible setup procedures in all modes that you can easily follow.
And in case of anything seeming odd you have those nice testpoints to comfortably check signals/functions.
Mechanically everything fits like a glove.
I want to recommend to screw on the faceplate early after the mainboard is done.Then you can use it as a cool jig for easy led soldering.I can post build pics for that if you like.

Finally:

This module has become one of my most important tools instantly,my dreams came true.

I want to thank Cemal for being here around with us,letting me build this as a first DIYer and for his help when it comes to it.....always!
A big thank you of course to Mr. Graham Langley for another excellent design.
And to both for making this possible for all of us.

A take my hat off again,

Udo (doing a big bow).

P.S.:I want to show some pics,here´s the first while testing it:

Attachments

• MS Test.JPG
    MS Test.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 161
Hi Cemal and Udo !

nice stuff !
Quite funny, I made similar units for 2 of the subgroups of my SSL5k, but then in SSL5k format instead of 500 format. It also has M/S lowcut filters (18dB/octave), switchable MS and stereo insert, and gaincontrol for M and S -which works but surely isn't as convenient as the width control you have. I also don't have meters.

I can say this Mid-Side One is a really nice feature for mastering purposes, or in the mainbus of your console. I imagine that a TAC One rack will be more and more interesting for many people by the day... !

Nice stuff Sahib !

helterbelter said:
I can say this Mid-Side One is a really nice feature for mastering purposes, or in the mainbus of your console. I imagine that a TAC One rack will be more and more interesting for many people by the day... !
Hi Paul,

nice hearing from you!
Yes,you're right,the TAC racks indeed do offer a lot of possibilities.
I'm very happy to have one making the MID SIDE ONE only "occupy" two slots,a real space saviour.
This way you can even have a complete mastering chain in just 3 ru or a complete ms-recording chain when two preamps are added.

Cheers,

Udo.

helterbelter said:
Nice stuff Sahib !

Thank you Paul.

However, after receiving a couple of PMs and e-mail I should clear up some confusion. I have also amended the post accordingly.

The  module naturally works with any 500 series rack with normal inputs and outputs but the insert points are only available if your 500 series rack supports these functions.  However, a mod kit will soon be available for creating  insert points on existing GDIY 51x or any other standard 500 series racks.

All of Total Audio Control 500 series racks feature insert points. Normally the insert points are unbalanced but can be converted to balanced using Total Audio Control BALANCING CARD.

Looks good! I am very interested in the implementation of the filter.
Normally a filter would produce some phase shift, that might have a negative effect when inserted in the S- channel.
Is there a (partly) schematic available?
(And no, I am not going to reproduce this(!), it is not worth the effort compared to the price of the kit!)

I wouldn't ask if you would copy. No problems.

The HPF is placed between the decoder side output and width side input.

sahib said:
The HPF is placed between the decoder side output and width side input.

I think that is obvious... But I am especially interested in the type of filter, to avoid phase problems.
(That is also why I mentioned if there was a (partly) schematic!)

Although it is not a rocket science I am not able to post even partial schematic.

However, it is really a text book VCVS with a Butterworth response.

This Mid-Side unit's got to be a really interresting tool for connecting outboard for M/S Processing. I have a maybe slightly silly question, just need to get this confirmed;
I see my self mainly using it this way: L/R signal going in, Processing M/S signal at the inserts and outputting L/R, all at the same time. And it seems that "with control" will be active with this setting as well.  This is possible with this unit, right?

ferrochrome said:
This Mid-Side unit's got to be a really interresting tool for connecting outboard for M/S Processing. I have a maybe slightly silly question, just need to get this confirmed;
I see my self mainly using it this way: L/R signal going in, Processing M/S signal at the inserts and outputting L/R, all at the same time. And it seems that "with control" will be active with this setting as well.  This is possible with this unit, right?

Nobody knows anything about this?

ferrochrome said:
Hello,

the simple answer is "yes"!

Excuse the late reply,notifications still don't work for me,I just stumbeled over your post some minutes ago.
Seems like Cemal (sahib) is still on vacation.

Your question covers the "standard operation" e.g. for mastering.
"with control" should be "width control" to be precise,it alters the amount/weight of mid and side signals,a bit like a dry/wet control on your fx gear.
Same as the filters it will be there once switched in,in any(!) input/output configuration.

Hope to have helped,

best regards,

Udo.

kante1603 said:
ferrochrome said:
Hello,

the simple answer is "yes"!

Excuse the late reply,notifications still don't work for me,I just stumbeled over your post some minutes ago.
Seems like Cemal (sahib) is still on vacation.

Your question covers the "standard operation" e.g. for mastering.
"with control" should be "width control" to be precise,it alters the amount/weight of mid and side signals,a bit like a dry/wet control on your fx gear.
Same as the filters it will be there once switched in,in any(!) input/output configuration.

Hope to have helped,

best regards,

Udo.

Thanks Udo. Obviously I ment width with a "d", but thanks for correcting. I've already placed my order for the mid-side module, case, psu and 2 eq units. Gonna be a great addition to the outboard rack; I have a couple of vari-mu compressors that excell for mastering and bus-processing but having only one 176 and one Altec/RS124 left me processing only one channel at a time - then summing to stereo, and stereo linking was impossible - time consuming and not ideal.. With the M/S module I can simultanously use one comp for mid and another one for side. This among a lot of other uses technically opens up a whole lot of doors!

ferrochrome said:
With the M/S module I can simultanously use one comp for mid and another one for side. This among a lot of other uses technically opens up a whole lot of doors!
Absolutely,have fun,

Udo.

just checking if there is update on the mod to be use in any other 500 series rack?

I have a Midas L10 with the extra Aux In and Out XLR's per channel, does anyone know if that would work with the Mid Side One?

Hi Tom,

It would. We have MIDAS MOD for that which involves fitting one of our BALANCING CARDs into MID-SIDE ONE, Schematic attached.

This mod will also allow MID-SIDE ONE to be used with Bento racks,

Attachments

• MIDAS_MOD.jpg
    MIDAS_MOD.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 7
Back