DB54 - 2254 style compressor {update 22.10.19}

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello friends!

Batch of pcbs for DB54 is coming. BA cards already purchased, but looks like I've got a small delay with unite pcbs ???

I've created google drive folder where I will accumulate all information for building DB54.
http://bit.ly/2dLli43

Now it contain partlist, bom, mouser cart link, transformer list, front panel holes dimensions.  I will update it as possible.

Attachments

• BA PCBS.jpg
    BA PCBS.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 106
Matt55 said:
Hello Igor,

I can't seem to get the Mouser cart working? I put the access ID in the project searcher box but nothing comes up?

Thanks, Matt

Let me check. Yeah, my bug. Fixed.
Access ID: 33b8ed2434

For those guys who had a little Mouser experience:
Go to http://ru.mouser.com/Tools/Tools.aspx
and insert Acess ID in specific field. Voila!

SIXTYNINER said:
for bc184, bc214, and other no longer available parts ,
have you done some test with the replacement parts as for 1073 , 1084 clones ?
cheers
I believe the replacements are bc550 (or mpsa18) and bc560 and from what ive read the are perfectly suitable.  I seem to recall Dan Kennedy saying its what he used in the mp-2nv.

here's alot of info
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=51340.0

BC184C
As replacement I bought MPSA18 from ebay member hfo_poland , which have hery good hfe values, I also bought some from a shop in Italy, which had pretty low values. Tested with a cheap chinese transistor tester.
Remember to turn the MPSA around.
In my NV73 I have used BC549 and 547

BC441/2N1711 - 1
2N1711 are everywhere on ebay

BC214KC
a lot of people reported, that they used BC214C versions without problems. Keep attention, that the L version has a different leg orientation, you can try to bend them, but's really a pita...

I guess, there are many other possibilities

Got a call from pcb fabric. Mother boards a ready! So on this week I will start to send DB54 kits to happy owners)

Just add samples into DB54 build folder. Check it here:
http://bit.ly/2dLli43
File name - DB54 sound test1 .zip
It contain ProTools10 session 48kHz 24bit.
If you use other daw, search audio files folder.
I made samples of drum kit (for stereo sound I precess left and right channel consecutive), electric bass and acoustic guitar with different settings.

I forgot to add into previous post that I used standard attack setting - fixed exact like in original 2254.  Different attack settings will be tested in next test)

Here is how two uniting boards looks like.
But... at this moment they all sold. All kits that was made are sold  :p
Will order second batch of boards!)

Congratulations !
You seem to be astonished about your success  ;D
And could you post a pic, where we can see the inner goods of your 2254 ?

kosi said:
And could you post a pic, where we can see the inner goods of your 2254 ?

Here is an image.
I forgot to mention that for I've sued carnhill transformers as input and interstage and EA 1166 as output.
As I've got a first serial batch of DB54 boards I will assemble it and show much in details.

Wow, looks great! Will definatelly buy a stereo set next month!
Couple of questions:
-How hard would it be, to incorporate a high-pass filter?
-Is there a simple way to link two of your 2254's together?
-Where did you get the EA1166? Hairball seems to only have the smaller 500 versions...

Murdock said:
-How hard would it be, to incorporate a high-pass filter?

Hmmm, I think that it's not so hard, more then that adding sidechain hpf is in my list for experiments. And in one moment I will add it, but may be in next revision.

Murdock said:
-Is there a simple way to link two of your 2254's together?
yes, I already made link switch in mono unit and it present same way of linking as original 2254.  Check first post for face panel example.

Murdock said:
-Where did you get the EA1166? Hairball seems to only have the smaller 500 versions...
Aaah)) I got it about 3 years ago, as I heard EA don't produce them more. It sound a little bit sweeter then carnhill for my opinion with a small bump in low end.

Thanks alot for the infos!
I know, its probably way to early, but do you have any kind of ETA for the HPF?

Back