DB54 - 2254 style compressor {update 22.10.19}

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zergonion said:
Hi all!
I'm in a process of gathering all the part for this project an I need some help.

1) Is this power trafo good? http://www.banzaimusic.com/Talema-TRT30215.html

ok :)

2) Which BC184C transistors need to be matched with each other, it's hidden in the BOM? 

best is, match all as close as possible.

3) I'm also curious about those ??? resistors (R23 - R28) used for attack?

R23 - 1K2 (0.5ms)
R24 - 1K3 (1ms)
R25 -  1K8(5ms)
R26 - 2K (12ms)
R27 - 2K2(25ms)
R28 - 2K7 (50ms)

Greets, Bernd

Thanks Bernd - much appreciated. Out of curiosity, can I ask where you got / how you calculated the attack resistor values? I spent a good few hours trawling for that info and couldn't find anything, so I'm keen to learn!

Andy

TwentyTrees said:
Thanks Bernd - much appreciated. Out of curiosity, can I ask where you got / how you calculated the attack resistor values? I spent a good few hours trawling for that info and couldn't find anything, so I'm keen to learn!

Andy

Hi Andy, I got the values directly from Igor, who created the kit ;-)
Greets, Bernd

Hello folks! I'm here.
Wedding and the birth of a daughter turned me out of diy life . Now my brain has barely got rid of sleepless nights and changing diapers so I have some helpful info regards DB54 assembling.
As I heard there are several assembled DB54. It will be nice to hear  reviews from you guys.
Now we are order third batches of boards kits.

Well, in next few replays I will post some and answer on questions.

So long awaited - DB54 assemble manual!)

I've updated BOM a little bit, so BOM v1.1 is now valid.

Check both in DB54 google disk folder:
http://bit.ly/2dLli43

Congratulations Igor, sounds like you've had a pretty busy time! All best wishes for the wedding and birth of your daughter - and thanks for the updated info!

Answers on previews questions:

TwentyTrees said:
I'm probably missing something really obvious, but I'm not clear on the values of the 'attack time' resistors (R23-28 on PCB1). The BOM lists them as "?? See manual" - which manual do you mean? I can't find anything in your Google Drive folder setting that out, and haven't been able to find anything either elsewhere on GDIY or on Google. What values should we be using? Like I say, I feel I must be missing something obvious here...
Andy
check assemble guide page 14

RolfGi said:
The PCB`s are soldert (they are very nice) & the PSU is working..... :D
Now i need some info`s about how to hook up the transformers and later on how to calibrate the compressor...
rolf
check assemble guide page 17 and 18

kosi said:
Can you tell me the part number of the BA card connectors ?
Andreas
check assemble guide page 5

tommypiper said:
No schematic for this project?  Or is it an exact clone?  ? ???
thats not an exact clone

Zergonion said:
1) Is this power trafo good? http://www.banzaimusic.com/Talema-TRT30215.html
2) Which BC184C transistors need to be matched with each other, it's hidden in the BOM?
3) I'm also curious about those ??? resistors (R23 - R28) used for attack?

1) good
2) TR1 and TR2 on BA185 should be matches pair (hfe matched)
3) check assemble guide page 14

There's a small typo in the assemble guide:
In the input transformers choice, on page 6, 10468 types it has to be Sowter 9145. You wrote 9045 (but that's the Carnhill number)

I ordered my mouser cart today :)

A schematic would make this 100 times more easy to build and troubleshoot. It makes me a bit crazy actually.
Is it possible for you to upload the schematic? That usually the case when building a project that you pay for.
I don't really understand why its so secret. It its so sensitive, can you atleast give the schematic to the members that paid you kinda lots of money?  I might come off as sounding a bit unfriendly, but I asure you I'm not  :) :eek: :p 8) ;D

federalsound said:
It seems that R50 isn't needed if using pots.
Did you had an issue with this R50?

I contacted Igor because the latest BOM had 2 times the same resistor see 1k2 and 1k8.

The more we know, the better the build.

Hi all!
I need some help with the power trafo http://www.banzaimusic.com/Talema-TRT30215.html
I wired secondaries in serial, center tap (which should give me 30V ac), but when I connect it to the electricty the trafo gets really hot and the measured voltage on each wire is 7.5V. I used 250mA as well as 500mA fuse, but no luck. Shoud I get new trafo?

Latest posts

Back