Where are the modern nickel SDC tube mics?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AusTex64

Is the market for them really that small? I had a semi-spiritual experince recording acoustic guitar with a nickel diaphragm tube SDC. I've used many other mics (414, KM84, CS-1, AT4033, U47, etc) but they just don't have the same HF shimmer without harshness. I can't afford KM54's and mics with unobtainum tubes such as AC701k and VF14 scare me too much.

Just wondering if I'm the only person that gets that excited by nickel diaphragms and tubes and transformers?

So there isn't really a modern nickel diaphragm tube/transformer SDC that I can find. A real alternative to KM54. Hmm...

AusTex64 said:
Is the market for them really that small?
It probably wouldn't be if more people had the chance to hear a mic like a KM54/56.  Personally, I don't see them in mic lockers as commonly as I see KM-84s, probably due to price and rarity of parts.  I think they are colored in an exciting way with more top end sheen and in a way feel slightly sort of old-timey because of how they slightly saturate the sound. But not all people like that quality and would rather go for something more neutral and less expensive.

AusTex64 said:
I had a semi-spiritual experince recording acoustic guitar with a nickel diaphragm tube SDC. I've used many other mics (414, KM84, CS-1, AT4033, U47, etc) but they just don't have the same HF shimmer without harshness. I can't afford KM54's and mics with unobtainum tubes such as AC701k and VF14 scare me too much.
It was a transcendent experience when I pulled up a KM56 on an acoustic guitar for the first time so I know exactly how that experience must have felt.  Jangly, clear, and present enough to cut through a dense mix without much processing, if any at all. 

I think it was even more of a religious experience hearing them on drum overheads.  Good lord, for certain things you might only have to add a kick mic and just call it a day.  Forget your close mics!

AusTex64 said:
Just wondering if I'm the only person that gets that excited by nickel diaphragms and tubes and transformers?
Definitely not.  Every time I pull out a KM56 for something I think it would work well on it usually ends up replacing whatever mic I had up in the stand before.

AusTex64 said:
So there isn't really a modern nickel diaphragm tube/transformer SDC that I can find. A real alternative to KM54. Hmm...
Hey Poctop, are you reading this thread?  :)

Tim Campbell said:

Rolled or galvanic?

Oliver Archut and I discussed nickel capsules at length. He liked aluminum the best though. I've never heard an aluminum diaphragm first hand. Nickel sounds great to me.

That thing Gefell does with coating the back plate with Teflon to eliminate pinholes burned in the diaphragm by it bottoming out/shorting is a brilliant idea.

Would love to check out a capsule when you're ready.

I was never really convinced by a gefell m582 and m70. the m94 /m58 is very nice. I guess if you build a new tube mic inside of a gefell body with a 6S6B you might get excellent results. i mistrust the gefell  tranny

A bit off topic, but SE introduced microphones with a titanium membrane some time ago.
I have heard one, but I was not impressed. (To put it mildly...)

I’ve really been wanting to try one for a while, but with no real feedback out there, I figured it could either be nothing really or not enough people trying them... Your mild comment puts it to rest for me.

I’m having Chris build me a pair of mics and trying those ISK U99 36mm aluminum cardioid capsules in them... We’ll see how those sound.

I have three M70 capsules that need new diaphragms.
Does anyone have any 1st hand feedback on repair of the capsules?

Latest posts

Back