Al's pseudo-C800/G7 mic idea...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alk509

Hey gang,

So I got these chinese capsules gathering dust here, and decided to try them out in this circuit:

AlsVPC8.jpg

The gain section comes straight out of the C800 schematic that's been floating around, but the capsule biasing arrangement looks more like the G7's, except I've implemented a continiously variable pattern pot...

I'm planning on using a NOS 6AU6WA, since I got five of them floating around as well.

As for transformers, I'll try the 6.45:1 OEP first... When I get some cash, I'm thinking of getting a Lundahl and a Cinemag and popping them in, but that's still a long way from where I'm at right now. I'll build the basic circuit first, then worry about trying out different transformers. I also have to wait for the 1G groupbuy resistors to show up...

So what do you all think? Comments, advice, mistakes?

Thanks!

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="gyraf"]Use OEP A262A3E in reverse instead...[/quote]

Yeah, that's the one I'm using :thumb:.

I have a mic body waiting for electronics... I'm itchin'! :green:

Peace,
Al.

The nos 6au6 stuff did not have good noise levels if you want to try them run the fil at 6 to 6.3VDC I have tried a few., the 800 thread has some hints.

Look at the vm1 thread for a better capsule pattern control circuit.

Look at the square for an even better capsule pattern control circuit.

I used a ll7903 look up the spec and SIZE. AMI and cinemag at > 7:1 and < 10:1 should be fine.

If you look close alot of microphones are the same basic designs

[quote author="Gus"]The nos 6au6 stuff did not have good noise levels if you want to try them run the fil at 6 to 6.3VDC[/quote]

Hmmm... The C800 schematic specifies 5.7V for the heater (lower noise?). I tried burning the crap off the cathode of two of these GE 6AU6WA and tested for noise, and in one of them the noise actually dropped a little bit (-2dB). The other I don't know, because it was already low enough that the tube's noise was getting swamped by my computer's noise... What brand 6AU6 did you use that were so noisy, Gus?

[quote author="Gus"]Look at the square for an even better capsule pattern control circuit.[/quote]

Interesting! What makes it better, exactly? I'm not sure I understand the DPSTswitch in the square mic that's labeled "cardioid only", could you please explain? I like the fact that this arrangement does away with the coupling cap between the capsule and the grid...

[quote author="Gus"]I used a ll7903 look up the spec and SIZE. AMI and cinemag at > 7:1 and < 10:1 should be fine.[/quote]

Yeah, I was looking at a couple of the Cinemags. I'll see what AMI/TAB have there... Thanks!

Peace,
Al.

I tried a mullard and a bunch of GEs. The noise was not bad with the nos it was that the right tube has even less noise. It is not a real 6au6

I believe it is in the oxides

its all in the threads.

Some of your cap values are to high it will take a long time for the pattern to change.

[quote author="Gus"]I tried a mullard and a bunch of GEs. The noise was not bad with the nos it was that the right tube has even less noise. It is not a real 6au6[/quote]

Hmmm... I'll keep an eye out for the Russian tube. I just haven't seen it for sale! :?

[quote author="Gus"]I believe it is in the oxides[/quote]

You're probably right.

[quote author="Gus"]Some of your cap values are to high it will take a long time for the pattern to change.[/quote]

Absolutely. The 10µF caps should be 1µF. Pattern change should happen in about .3 seconds.

Peace,
Al.

By the way, if anyone knows where I can get the Russian (6J4P?) tube, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"][quote author="Gus"]I tried a mullard and a bunch of GEs. The noise was not bad with the nos it was that the right tube has even less noise. It is not a real 6au6[/quote]

Hmmm... I'll keep an eye out for the Russian tube. I just haven't seen it for sale! :?
[/quote]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14947&item=3864739144&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

[quote author="Marik"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14947&item=3864739144&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V[/quote]

Ha! eBay! The one place I, for some reason, neglected to look :oops:!

I just ordered 8 of these puppies. Thanks a lot Marik, you're a legend! :thumb:

Peace,
Al.

Still toying with this, here's a power supply:

PS78-Schematic.jpg

...And here's circuit boards for both the mic and the PSU:

AK78PS78-OsmondPCBcopy.jpg

AK78PS78-Componentplacementcopy.jpg

I still haven't tried any of this, so don't jump in and expect it to work... I'll keep you all posted.

Peace,
Al.

I don't like the power supply, unneeded complexity IMO, a 4 or 5 stage RC might be better. Remember its a tube circuit.

I am not a fan of back to back transformers you should be able to find an EI one if you look around.

Use a bigger output cap on the fil supply even some of the china stuff has >1000uf

compare uf400xs to 1n400xs price and specs.

Perhaps I should mention that some of my parts choices are based on what I have on hand... With that in mind:

[quote author="Gus"]I don't like the power supply, unneeded complexity IMO, a 4 or 5 stage RC might be better. Remember its a tube circuit.[/quote]

I don't like unregulated supplies on mics, tube or solid state... call me crazy! :green:

I'm looking at the PSUs, and there's really nothing I would change (except maybe the transformer arrangement - see next point). How exactly is the PSU complex? It's the basic circuit lifted almost verbatim from the regulators' datasheets! :?

[quote author="Gus"] I am not a fan of back to back transformers you should be able to find an EI one if you look around.[/quote]

Yeah, that has me worried... I still have to build it and let it run for a couple of hours to see what kind of heat buildup I get, but if that's not a problem, it will work 100% fine, AND with the advantages of toroids, AND for cheaper than an equivalent E core.

[quote author="Gus"]Use a bigger output cap on the fil supply even some of the china stuff has >1000uf[/quote]

Not necessary. The LM317 gets 80dB of ripple rejection with the 10uF cap from the adjust pin to ground. Pulling .35A out of the 1000uF cap, I get 2.9Vp-p of ripple, before the regulator... That's like 2.9E-40 (two-point-nine times ten-to-the-minus-forty!) Vp-p at the output of the regulator... For a heater supply, I'd say that's pretty damn close to perfect! (certainly much better than a sectioned RC filter of any sensible size).

[quote author="Gus"]compare uf400xs to 1n400xs price and specs.[/quote]

Cool, I'll look it up. Thanks, Gus! :thumb:

Peace,
Al.

If you look you might find the transformer I use for my tube microphones <$20.00 USA.

I was just giving hints, what do I know about tube microphones anyway?

[quote author="alk509"]

I don't like unregulated supplies on mics, tube or solid state... call me crazy! :green:
[/quote]

Al, officially--YOU ARE CRAZY! :grin:

Seriously, I don't see the reason of building tube mic with B+ regulated, unless you want to sound it like a... solid state. At least build both--regulated and unregulated, and then compare them. You will see what I mean.

For B+ rectifier I'd use Hexfreds, available from Kevin Carter, or Antique Supply--they are much more expensive, but sound much better than 4007s.

[quote author="Gus"]If you look you might find the transformer I use for my tube microphones <$20.00 USA.[/quote]

That's cool, but I don't have one. Again, I'm using what i have on hand...

I actually have an E core transformer that would probably work, but I want to try out the back-to-back trick that a lot of people here use.

[quote author="Gus"]I was just giving hints, what do I know about tube microphones anyway?[/quote]

I'm not quite sure what to make of this... Did I offend you somehow? Please exlain.

Thanks!

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="Marik"]Al, officially--YOU ARE CRAZY! :grin:

Seriously, I don't see the reason of building tube mic with B+ regulated, unless you want to sound it like a... solid state.[/quote]

See, I'm a little conflicted with this, precisely because of what you say about SS-vs.-tubes. But the thing is I just LOVE these TL783 ICs. I've replaced the RC power supplies on three different boxes (an LA2A-type compressor, and two mic pres), and the sound just comes alive!

Having said that, now that I think about it I can think of at least two mics that I absolutely love that have unregulated supplies... :?

[quote author="Marik"] At least build both--regulated and unregulated, and then compare them. You will see what I mean.[/quote]

That sounds like a sensible solution! :grin:

[quote author="Marik"]For B+ rectifier I'd use Hexfreds, available from Kevin Carter, or Antique Supply--they are much more expensive, but sound much better than 4007s.[/quote]

Yeah, I've heard about those... Are those the ones Gus recommended in his post? I don't have any, but I'll look into them and maybe order some the next time I get parts. Thanks!

Peace,
Al.

OK, I just checked both the FREDs and the UF400x diodes... I'm definitely getting some next time I order stuff!

FWIW, Digi-Key actually has some FREDs, but they're kind of expensive compared to AES and others

Thanks again, guys! :thumb:

Peace,
Al.

Without wading into the reg vs unreg debate, I have to point out that Al's slide rule slipped here: "Not necessary. The LM317 gets 80dB of ripple rejection with the 10uF cap from the adjust pin to ground. Pulling .35A out of the 1000uF cap, I get 2.9Vp-p of ripple, before the regulator... That's like 2.9E-40 (two-point-nine times ten-to-the-minus-forty!) Vp-p at the output of the regulator... For a heater supply, I'd say that's pretty damn close to perfect! (certainly much better than a sectioned RC filter of any sensible size). "

80dB of ripple reduction is a factor in voltage of ten to the 4, not 40, so you will see 290uV p-p by that reckoning. Still good.

Another handy trick is to bias the filament a bit positive with respect to the cathode to reduce coupling.

As far as ideal diodes, the SiC ones are expensive, high voltage drop, but have unmeasureable reverse recovery times. I wish they would make some little ones too. Pease points out that small-signal schottkies have a bit of a conventional junction in their structure which makes their behavior a lot less ideal.

[quote author="bcarso"]290uV p-p[/quote]

Yeah, I just saw that... Goddamn non-RPN calculator messes with my mojo! :mad:

Thanks, Brad! :thumb:

Peace,
Al.

Latest posts

Back