Api 2500 threshold mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APIrules

Hi everybody, my name is Rober and I'm a newbee in the forum. Well, my first topic is for asking help for the api 2500 schematics. The Api 2500 is a very good compressor,  but the maximum threshold is +10 dBu. I use it mainly after the summing bus so the levels after that bus has an RMS level near the +10 dBu so the compressor is ever working. I need to modify the compresor threshold at least for +20 dBu, to trigger only some peaks and not working all the time. I asked directly to api and to paul wolff but neither of them seems to want help me so much. So if anyone has the schematics or know the threshold components that fix the level, please let me know. Thanks in advice

Why do you have such hot levels on the mix buss before any dynamic processing. +10dBu is well above 0VU.

Hard to get API schematics for the newier stuff and if paul wolf is not interested then hmmmmmm, you might use a different compressor altogether.

I would probably consider scaling down the signal into it, with boost afterwards.  Maybe not helpful....

To have a threshold at +20dBu, that implies your processing path has a linear dynamic range well above that. To not only pass signal that hot, but reduce gain cleanly of signals that hot.

KISS...  just scale down the input so the processor can work within it's design parameters.

JR 

Hmm, Paul Wolf and API have been building gear for a long time. Perhaps they know what they are doing and you do not? Follow the suggestions above, and learn more about levels.

APIrules said:
Hi everybody, my name is Rober and I'm a newbee in the forum. Well, my first topic is for asking help for the api 2500 schematics. The Api 2500 is a very good compressor,  but the maximum threshold is +10 dBu. I use it mainly after the summing bus so the levels after that bus has an RMS level near the +10 dBu so the compressor is ever working. I need to modify the compresor threshold at least for +20 dBu, to trigger only some peaks and not working all the time. I asked directly to api and to paul wolff but neither of them seems to want help me so much. So if anyone has the schematics or know the threshold components that fix the level, please let me know. Thanks in advice

Hello Rober,
the 2500 is fine and has no problem at all, and it's not the problem.
Like other fellow members pointed the problem is at the levels you are working.

Are you doing  outputs from the DAW to a Summing  box?
Daw to Console Channels?

please describe your setup

Latest posts

Back