Beesneez M49 Feeler, Now Ready to ship!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE!!

We will have 16 sets available to ship in 7 -10 days.  If you want in, please let me know.  I will be pm-ing all.

Just to advise, These M49 Bodies fit Original style, BeesNeez and PocTop internals.

Thanks all.

As a special offer anyone who buys the M49 body can purchase our M7 capsule for a $100 discount.  So that is $245 AUD!!!!!!!! 

Let me know.

Thanks

Ben

No need for a yoke!  The swivel is perfect!

I have them in stock and ready to go

mics said:
2) we can make a body that looks like a clone.  We can bead blast the bodies and grilled and even source the Jewel for the front.  We could supply with a binder connector and instead of a shock mount, we could build the stand mount that comes off the cable connector. 
The cost for this version would naturally be higher.  We assume that it would end up at approx AUD699-899 (500-650USD)

So what was the final $ on these? Are we still $500-$650 USD? I'm trying to collect my cash for a pair...

wmarden said:
So what was the final $ on these? Are we still $500-$650 USD? I'm trying to collect my cash for a pair...

Hi there.
Price is $699USD. Thanks.

Ben

mics said:
Hi all.

Thanks for you many warm and loving comments over the last few months.  We really do appreciate our Audio community.

I've noticed that many of you are still struggling to get an m49 style body for you project. 

At this stage, this is just a feeler but if  there was a need, I'd be happy to make a few hundred body's so that you can all get on with making your Mics!

Perhaps you could all register your interest here. 

The body's would be made to fit the Poctop boards and would have the original dimensions.

We  may or may not finish the body the same as the original.  We may use  the nickel powder coat rather than bead blasting as the finish is more stable  and uniform.  This will prevent delivery delays and other related issues.

If we go ahead, we will not take any payments until we are ready to ship.  We will though need to take numbers so we know how many we need to make.

Thanks all. 

We look forward to hearing from you in this thread.

Are you still taking inquiries on the M49 bodies?  I would probably want to go with a cable stand adaptor, the red dot, etc. as you described further into this thread?  Estimated cost; I would want two?

Hi there.

The finished product is $699 USD each with internal stand posta for the various pcb’s available.

Thanks

Ben

Hi everyone, I figured since not many were posting pictures here I'd get some good ones taken in case anyone is on the fence. Honestly pictures really don't do it justice and when it first arrived I wondered if I should build a mic in it or just put it in a glass case and stare at it. It's really well done, bigger than any picture shows, and you really need to hold it to feel the quality. It's not cheap but I'm really happy I spent the money. Even the original Neumann's around here don't have bodies up to this standard. Like most I was a little worried about a non-standard connector in a mic build, but once you see it, you stop worrying. Very heavy duty pins! I've tried to take some good photos of that too but we really needed a different lens on the camera for that. So I'll start with a picture of the body. I thought since so many people around here have built the 67's it would be good to compare the two bodies. I have the original cathedral pipes bodies, but the Chunger ones I've seen in person seemed identical.

Attachments

• group-shot.jpg
    group-shot.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 151
Yes pictures certainly don’t do justice on the quality! I thought I was going to have my 49-type mics transferred to these bodies, but decided to hold-out to use them for M50-types eventually!

mics said:
Hi there.

The finished product is $699 USD each with internal stand posta for the various pcb’s available.

Thanks

Ben
Are the body kits still available?

In case anyone has been curious about Ben's new transformers, I thought I would post my experience. I built the M49 (B and C) into the Beesneez body, with the 6s6b-v tube and beesneez capsule, originally with an AMI transformer.  I ended up with a great sounding microphone but one that needed so much gain that the signal was almost in the noise floor. I had to boost my Trident A-Range preamps all the way up to get a signal around -12 to -6dB on at peak with a vocal, putting the noisefloor around -45dB. Tried with many other pres, almost all still needing the gain all the way up, but even without, still the signal was in the noisefloor. I did quite a bit of troubleshooting before coming to the conclusion that my AMI transformer was at fault. This was only my second AMI and the first one had the color codes reversed from the factory. This was about the time that Ben revealed he had transformers for sale so I took the chance knowing his build quality always impressed me and ordered one. I was a little concerned about the fit as Dany's boards obviously weren't designed for these transformers. Thankfully, they arrived quickly and with a little measuring I realized they were a perfect match for Max's IOaudio transformer on board. I didn't have much time to measure or run an AC signal through them to compare ratios or find the exact issue with the AMI due to an extreme rush to get a drum sample library done before the drummer moved across the country. I put in the Beesneez transformer and it was perfect. Great sound, brilliant highs, and solid lows. Exactly what I expected from a 49, and more importantly, no noise! The only other comparison I can offer against the AMI T49, is that doing a DCR test, both sides of the input on the ami measured radically different, and the two sides of the output, though closer matched, were still off. The Beesneez arrived with an almost perfect match, so I could tell great care went into the winding of this transformer. I still can't offer any info on ratio though hopefully Ben will chime in here with info. The Beesneez transformers will definitely be my go-to from now on for anything I need.

I've since used the mic on that drum session as a mono overhead, and did ADR for a film with it and it has worked beautifully. Looking forward to trying it on more sources but I'm getting ready to move to L.A. and the studios around here are keeping me super busy with tech work.

kpearsall said:
I did quite a bit of troubleshooting before coming to the conclusion that my AMI transformer was at fault. This was only my second AMI and the first one had the color codes reversed from the factory. This was about the time that Ben revealed he had transformers for sale so I took the chance knowing his build quality always impressed me and ordered one. I was a little concerned about the fit as Dany's boards obviously weren't designed for these transformers. Thankfully, they arrived quickly and with a little measuring I realized they were a perfect match for Max's IOaudio transformer on board. I didn't have much time to measure or run an AC signal through them to compare ratios or find the exact issue with the AMI due to an extreme rush to get a drum sample library done before the drummer moved across the country. I put in the Beesneez transformer and it was perfect. Great sound, brilliant highs, and solid lows. Exactly what I expected from a 49, and more importantly, no noise! The only other comparison I can offer against the AMI T49, is that doing a DCR test, both sides of the input on the ami measured radically different, and the two sides of the output, though closer matched, were still off. The Beesneez arrived with an almost perfect match, so I could tell great care went into the winding of this transformer. I still can't offer any info on ratio though hopefully Ben will chime in here with info. The Beesneez transformers will definitely be my go-to from now on for anything I need.

I've since used the mic on that drum session as a mono overhead, and did ADR for a film with it and it has worked beautifully. Looking forward to trying it on more sources but I'm getting ready to move to L.A. and the studios around here are keeping me super busy with tech work.

Ready for sticker shock moving to LA?  Did you test the AMI transformer for open windings?  With some transformers, the connection between the extremely fine wire (especially on the primary) and the outgoing lead occasionally breaks off underneath the coated paper shell covering the windings...

I'm joining a few friends out there so I know what to expect ;)

Yea if there were open windings the DCR test would have told me instantly. It's either seriously miswound, or the wrong ratio to begin with. Probably just something quality control should have caught and they missed it. Unfortunately this is my second one this happened with and I'm just glad I found another quality transformer supplier and they are cheaper too!

kpearsall said:
In case anyone has been curious about Ben's new transformers, I thought I would post my experience. I built the M49 (B and C) into the Beesneez body, with the 6s6b-v tube and beesneez capsule, originally with an AMI transformer.  I ended up with a great sounding microphone but one that needed so much gain that the signal was almost in the noise floor. I had to boost my Trident A-Range preamps all the way up to get a signal around -12 to -6dB on at peak with a vocal, putting the noisefloor around -45dB. Tried with many other pres, almost all still needing the gain all the way up, but even without, still the signal was in the noisefloor. I did quite a bit of troubleshooting before coming to the conclusion that my AMI transformer was at fault. This was only my second AMI and the first one had the color codes reversed from the factory. This was about the time that Ben revealed he had transformers for sale so I took the chance knowing his build quality always impressed me and ordered one. I was a little concerned about the fit as Dany's boards obviously weren't designed for these transformers. Thankfully, they arrived quickly and with a little measuring I realized they were a perfect match for Max's IOaudio transformer on board. I didn't have much time to measure or run an AC signal through them to compare ratios or find the exact issue with the AMI due to an extreme rush to get a drum sample library done before the drummer moved across the country. I put in the Beesneez transformer and it was perfect. Great sound, brilliant highs, and solid lows. Exactly what I expected from a 49, and more importantly, no noise! The only other comparison I can offer against the AMI T49, is that doing a DCR test, both sides of the input on the ami measured radically different, and the two sides of the output, though closer matched, were still off. The Beesneez arrived with an almost perfect match, so I could tell great care went into the winding of this transformer. I still can't offer any info on ratio though hopefully Ben will chime in here with info. The Beesneez transformers will definitely be my go-to from now on for anything I need.

Have you read this?
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/prorecordingworkshop/what-would-cause-this-t19410595-s10.html

Back