Survey of (Open? Free?) USB Audio drivers for PC/Mac/Linux for embedded xilinx

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twenty Log

Howdy....  Working on a hardware design based on Xilinx Zynq series (running Linux).... Desire to be able to stream audio to-and-from (multiple channels beyond just stereo) at 384kHz over USB to a Windows/Mac/Linux host running DAW (e.g., Nuendo with ASIO on Windows for now).

Are there any (e.g., for the Windows example) ASIO empowered USB drivers (supporting 384kHz) that are "just a sound card" for the Host OS / DAW?

Yes, XMOS has their driver on the PC (in this example) for stereo only with the development version that has beeps every 5 minutes in it....

is there anything else out there for multiple channels of 384khz?  The zynq is already using a USB phy and looking at the Linux (embedded) side of the USB cable for now, but haven't thought much about how to get the audio onto the DAW side for listening/debug et cetera....

Thanks!

Twenty Log said:
Howdy....  Working on a hardware design based on Xilinx Zynq series (running Linux).... Desire to be able to stream audio to-and-from (multiple channels beyond just stereo) at 384kHz over USB to a Windows/Mac/Linux host running DAW (e.g., Nuendo with ASIO on Windows for now).

Are there any (e.g., for the Windows example) ASIO empowered USB drivers (supporting 384kHz) that are "just a sound card" for the Host OS / DAW?

You need USB Audio Class 2.0 if you want to do audio over a High Speed endpoint. Mac OS X has had USB Audio Class 2.0 support since 10.5, so you don't need a custom driver, it will work right out of the box.

Windows, including the brand new Windows 10, still does not support AC 2.0. So you will need to write a driver, or contract with Thesycon or whoever else to get one.

Yes, it's ridiculous.

As for Linux, I have no idea.

Thanks Andy,

Yes, 10.4 is where I left off on Mac when Parallels couldn't do the 3D for the Altium system... went back to PC....  Have been recently revisiting and designing the H(s) and NTF/STF for the ADC side after a year+ hiatus so it is without much thought on the digital side (yet)....  interesting in this day-and-age the state of drivers for AC 2 for USB..... harrumph.....

Twenty Log said:
Thanks Andy,

Yes, 10.4 is where I left off on Mac when Parallels couldn't do the 3D for the Altium system...

I dumped Parallels around then, too, because it was slow as crap when accessing the Mac disk as a shared drive within Windows. I went to VMWare and that works well, by which I mean that the Xilinx and Altera and Microsemi FPGA tools all work and they can talk to their respective USB JTAG dongles. (WHY OH WHY do I need to have a dozen different JTAG dongles when they all do the SAME THING!)

went back to PC....  Have been recently revisiting and designing the H(s) and NTF/STF for the ADC side after a year+ hiatus so it is without much thought on the digital side (yet)....  interesting in this day-and-age the state of drivers for AC 2 for USB..... harrumph.....

Blame Microsoft. Either they "don't see a business case for it," or the Jungos and Theyscons of the world have inordinate sway over MS in the driver world. In the meantime, OS X and Linux support it well enough.

...and I just installed the latest Xlinx tools (again) and the anti-virus complains that vvgl.exe is a trojan virus and removes it for my convenience,...  Sheeesh....

Back