Mixer Console build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humner

I have been planning this for the last year, but in the last month or 2 its starting to become real and thought a worklog would benefit myself and others who are interested in this.

The base configuration of this console will be 24:8:2 with 2 AUX channels. Its main purpose will be for mixing/summing but have plans to include microphone pre's in the first 8 or 12 channels. I have working prototypes of the input and bus channels(the same summing section will be used for the master bus as well) and I'm very happy with how they have turned out.  The first photos are showing the first prototype input channel. All inputs and outputs will be transformer balanced - I've been hoarding transformers these past few months and now have them ready to go into my circuit designs.

There will be PCB edge connector board running down the enclosure to form the busing. I have also made provisions on these PCB's to allow for a star ground scheme, so each channel has its audio ground go to a copper bus bar at the back of the console which then feeds into a single ground back to the PSU which will be in a separate enclosure.

The enclosure itself is made from 5mm 5005 grade aluminum and will be finished off with timber/wood sides and leather bound wrist rest. I had the panels waterjet cut as laser cutting aluminum at this thickness does not work for the small size holes I have. I used 5mm as I want it to be sturdy so to stand the test of time. The meter bridge will house NOS Russian vertical VU meters and the master L/R channel is your normal VU meter. Each channel strip will have built in VU meter buffers.

At this stage of the build I have finished the main aluminum enclosure and leather bound wrist rest further photos showing progress so far. I'm currently working on getting the timber sides finished which should be done this weekend. Its very important to me that this mixer not only sounds great but is also visually impressive.

here are the photos

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

This is great. Like really great. Very professional. 8 x grayhills and an xfmr per channel too... plus stepped pans... very cool. The second DOA is for auxes?
Very inspiring man.
Can't wait to see the master section.

The second DOA is the fader buffer. The grayhill switches were the inspiration for this mixer to begin with. I sourced a large quantity for a good price and kept of thinking what it would be like to have a mixer full of grayhills  ;D

The input channels follow a simple topology - Input transformer > non-inverting gain stage > transistor based EQ stage(design taken from 70's yamaha mixers) > pre fader AUX fader going to AUX bus's > channel fader + non-inverting fader buffer > pan and routing etc.

My PCB backpane will have spare bus routing for expanding it(for when I want to add phantom or other busses/mic inputs etc later down the track).

The idea behind this is to be own my ever expanding and modifiable console, something I can always tinker with . Down the track I in-vision making compressor channels and . The base configuration is always changing, I keep on coming up with new ideas and things I want to change, so having it modular is key.

I should be updating this almost every week. Today I shaped and dry fit the timber side panels - these are Tasmanian Blackwood (it varies in colour from blonde to red and gray). They will be sanded smooth and oiled tomorrow before they are fitted permanently.

I also have a photo showing the first prototype version of the edge card board and how the PCB interfaces + prototype channel strip panels.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

More than  fucking amazing!
Keeping fingers crossed!
How did you make  armrest?
I need to make one for my console.
I have simple idea how to make it, but maybe you have a better idea :)

ln76d said:
More than  f**king amazing!
Keeping fingers crossed!
How did you make  armrest?
I need to make one for my console.
I have simple idea how to make it, but maybe you have a better idea :)

thank you!

The arm rest was made using 66mm bullnose skirting board timber + similar sized timber cut to length and screwed together to form the peice - so no shaping required, you get an instant nice smooth curve! Which is what I like because I don't have a workshop for wood working.

8.jpg

I wrapped mine in black cow hide, nice thick 2mm stuff which I think gives it enough "padding" so that you don't need additional foam underneath. Here is an ugly shot of the underside showing how I "tacked" the leather on. There will be a timber trim added to the lip later to neaten this up. You can also see how I mounted the arm rest so that it is removable if needed(for transporting the desk etc).

9.jpg

10.jpg

Here is a shot showing a test fitting of the timber sides. I've used Tung oil here, it will take some time to fully cure. I found these countersunk washers at my local hardware store which I prefer to the button head style shown before.

This weekend I plan to finish designs for my edgeboard PCB's, TRS jackboard PCB's(for outputs and inserts), DB25 board(for 8 channel inputs) and VU signal + power(for LED lighting) distribution boards.

11.jpg

How thick is your bull nose skirting? I am trying to source something similar here in the UK. It all seems to be 18mm thick.

Cheers

Ian

Very nice.

How do plan on expanding in the future.? As you mention it being modular, wondering how you would add more channels to the frame for example.

it has space for 36 channels at 34mm wide - that wont change. When I say expand its more like taking out an input channel or 2 and putting in another design etc. The original plan for the console was mainly for mixing, however I know I will want to add some mic inputs so I have made all the connections from the edge connectors available for when that time comes.

I'm expecting some PCB's this coming week and I will update the thread which should make things a lot clearer.

I am curious about the front panel contruction. I cannot tell from the pics if they are made from one of two sheets of material. I am especially interested in how you seems to have recessed the nuts of the Grayhill switches..

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I am curious about the front panel contruction. I cannot tell from the pics if they are made from one of two sheets of material. I am especially interested in how you seems to have recessed the nuts of the Grayhill switches..

Cheers

Ian

It looks like two sheets attached together with the allen screws.

ruffrecords said:

Cheers

Ian

Not sure how Humner did it, but one option is you can mill a circle (or any shape) with a specified depth. Most places can do this including front panel express.

Latest posts

Back