Shock mount stringing - a simpler way?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumbascii

Below is a common way to string a shock mount. Ignore the 3/8 center... My question relates to the spring hooks. In this case they would be tempered spring steel, spot welded or brazed in place first. Can you think of a simpler, more elegant way to create the hook points for stringing the elastic? The geometry seems ok.

shock.jpg

Talking to myself. Not unusual.  This is much easier to fabricate! I have access to a new plasma cutter, though not sure how precise it is. The tips of the green parts would be bent into 90 degree hooks for the elastic. Tack weld or braze to vertical bars. Pieces are 1/8" plate steel.

shock-bar-2.jpg

Drawing 1: You'll want the upper/lower "hooks" to go upwards (away from), not downwards (towards the floating part) - for ensuring that your string dosen't slip..

Jakob E.

I do know about hook direction but was too lazy to draw it properly. :p  BTW the second picture one is one half. The other half is 8" up, opposite orientation, making a "shock bar" that any mic clips can attach to. I'm definitely going to try making a few of the plasma cutter units.

Latest posts

Back