FAB Microphone Transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used a FAB BV8, BV11 style transformer or a ribbon mic transformer in there mod, new build etc.. If you have any interesting photos of a mod let me know.

Much appreciated,

Chris

I can recommend these transformers, I used his ribbon transformers, V8 for u47 clones, V8fet for 47fet clones, all of them are great, here is a jazz sample from French jazz band Pulcinella(used a ribbon pair for drum OH, and a V8 for u47 clone for sax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s9w1xBs450

I built two U47 clones with V8 and original VF14 tubes. For my ears V8 much better than AMI and more "u47- sh". Highs are clear and soft . Great midrange. No muddy areas. A bit differs from Haufe , but ImHO they are in they same league, both are great.

I can recommended FAB transformers. I used V8F transformer in my U47FET and Im very happy with the sound of this microphone.

Chris is true gentleman. His services are top notch.

M.

I finished building a pair of M49 with Fab transformers BV11. They sound splendid. Chris has been a pleasure to do business with. Fast shipping. Highly recommended.

I made a replica of Hiller M83 "Zwischenverstärker", which is needed for Hiller M59, M60, M58 mics. M83 was designed by Zentraltechnik NWDR by same people and at the same time as Neumann M49. They share the same basic schematics and  trafo and I was using FAB V11 in my build instead of the CT M49/1, which later became BV 11 and no more made by Hiller. I have two original Hiller M83s to compare and I was hoping to get close to the sound of the originals, but the sound turned out to be dead on the same. Now I am looking forward to make one more using FAB V11.

I used your FAB XL ribbon transformer in a MXL R40. I got about 6db extra output. Along with installing a 1.8 micron ribbon, the mic went from blah to great!

Strick9 said:
I used your FAB XL ribbon transformer in a MXL R40. I got about 6db extra output. Along with installing a 1.8 micron ribbon, the mic went from blah to great!

Only just read this, many thanks - and thanks to all the replies so far. Stay safe!

Ricardus said:
Do you make a direct replacement for the classic U87 (not the ai)?

Not a direct replacement but I can wind an equivalent just a slightly different size. I wound some t14 style transformers recently for Brad Pfeifer over in California and he seems knocked out by them.

Send me an email at:
[email protected] and we can discuss.

Latest posts

Back