Multimedia Art - Subwoofer Advice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad.fornow

Hello!

My name is Chad. I am a multimedia artist. I am preparing to build a small room with a number of hidden in-wall subwoofers (amplifiers built-in) and speakers. The speakers and subwoofers will be used to evoke physical vibrations in each visitor during the multimedia experience.

I have tested this recently on a large 21in subwoofer and two average speakers at around 45hz and 85dB, 6ft away, to great success! I wish to go ahead and purchase some subwoofers and speakers for more long-term experimentation prior to crafting the installation.

It has been recommended that I look into HSU and SVS subwoofers, at least 10in or bigger. Because of my minimal experience with audio equipment, it was also recommended that I plea for advice from this wonderful community!

Thank you in advance!
Chad

45 cycles or a range? If single frequency an enclosure tuned to resonance would not be too hard, or tuning the dimensions of the space may be an option

chad.fornow said:
Hello!

My name is Chad. I am a multimedia artist. I am preparing to build a small room
How small is small?
with a number of hidden in-wall subwoofers (amplifiers built-in) and speakers. The speakers and subwoofers will be used to evoke physical vibrations in each visitor during the multimedia experience.

I have tested this recently on a large 21in subwoofer
A 21" sub is HUGE, needs about 500 liters enclosure to really go that deep. How many could you fit in your (small) room?
and two average speakers at around 45hz and 85dB, 6ft away, to great success!
What do you mean by average? 5", 8", 12", or more? 
It has been recommended that I look into HSU and SVS subwoofers, at least 10in or bigger. 
On what basis? Have your requirements been analysed formally, or is it just because these manufacturers have good reputation, or one of your friends has one in his living-room?
Because of my minimal experience with audio equipment, it was also recommended that I plea for advice from this wonderful community!
That was a good recommendation, but we are a community of technically-oriented people, and we want o have as much objective (think measurable) info before delivering advice. In the absence of expected SPL and room size, I would prefer not to answer. Is your quoted performance of 85dB down to 45Hz a target?

I think you are in for some surprises with modal issues and the like. Have you ever been to a LaMonte Young, Dream House installation? He uses big bass reflex cabinets but it would be informative, and fun.

Hello Chad,

Depending on the number of people you want to expose to the vibrations, it might be interesting to look at tactile transducers.

Those can be used to cause physical vibrations when attached to chairs, non-massive floors etc...

http://clarksynthesis.com/clark-synthesis-products/tactile-sound-transducers/

Good luck wth your project,

BR Rogy

Latest posts

Back