U47 head baskets

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
list of things still to do is as follows:

route out recess for side posts (waiting for compound table and router bits to arrive)
make jig for braising
cut all lengths of brass mesh (done)
shape top mesh section
braise all mesh
clean up edges of mesh
put all mesh and parts in jig and apply pressure and braise
clean up and polish head baskets

regards

Spence.

HI Micdaddy,

its an all brass affair!!!!
mesh sizes are pretty much exactly what the original has, i say pretty much as there is some movement  when putting them together where one of the bigger sizes can vary very slightly due to cutting. Outer 12 holes, middle 50 holes, inner 10 holes per inch.
Im still to sort the side struts yet but getting there with the mesh.

Spence.

Sorry Spence ;-)

What I mean is:
Is the chuck mega solid - no amount of wobble either along the axle nor in and out against the machine itself?
If you wind the controls in to a point and move the corresponding part by a certain amount, if you reverse the direction of the controls, do they immediately start to move the corresponding part of the lathe in the other direction or is there a small amount of turning which produces no movement before that starts to happen? (That is "backlash")

Cheers,
Matt.

I will check what you have said, but in my mind it seems very solid, I have had to put a new pulley wheel and belt on it and it is much quieter now.
Only thing I need to upgrade to now is having a decent milling machine and rotary chuck to hold.

Spence.

Have cut out recess for side struts, just cutting 3 layer mesh a different way so I get much better accuracy on top and bottom edge.
Then will sand both edges and put all together and braise.
Will then give final clean up and polish.

I'm in the process of modifying my lathe to hold vertical slide to give me Z access for milling, fairly easy to do just with a angle plate.
I also going to try and make an attachment for holding the drill to see how that works.

Spence.

Back