S800 EQ for 500 Series

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12ax7

Was looking for some inexpensive EQs so figured this was a good candidate. It's not really a clone, but a bit of a redesign to incorporate some other features.

Here are some changes I made:

1) Input can accept a line receiver THAT1200, 1246, INA134, etc or a differential opamp.
2) Each EQ stage gets its own opamp, this removes the mid band interaction of the original (for better or worse), a wide selection of opamps can be used and mix / matched if desired.
3) Added relay hard bypass.
4) Output can be a line driver THAT1646, DRV134, etc or opamp impedance balanced.

Overall the results are good, both in terms of sound and noise, it holds it's own with some of the other  EQs I have.

Mostly I just built these for myself but if there's interest I could make a kit available, total build cost would probably be $225-250 (US) per channel. It would be a significant lead time though (10-12 weeks) as some of the pots would need to be custom ordered, either that or hacksaw the shafts and use different (and bigger) knobs.

Attachments

• s800_1.jpg
    s800_1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 244
darkus said:
Im interested in 2-4 kits! Looks great! Didnt Trident just release a 500 series 80b?

Yes, there are a few commercial iterations, trident, ocean, s&m. Mine is not  meant to replace those, as it's not really a clone, more like "inspired by"

darkus said:
Do you have  interest selling pcb's in the near future?

I wouldn't sell just PCBs, it wouldn't be very useful without the rest. If you want just PCBs to put in your own chassis look at peterc's boards.

I would totally buy full kits!!

john12ax7 said:
darkus said:
Do you have  interest selling pcb's in the near future?

I wouldn't sell just PCBs, it wouldn't be very useful without the rest. If you want just PCBs to put in your own chassis look at peterc's boards.

Latest posts

Back