Sheet steel finish

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

What grade, thickness and finish do 500 series module manufacturers use for the steel side plates of their products or indeed what do you guys use and why?

Cheers

Ian

Mine are made from 1,25mm DC01 (I don't have any idea why my manufacture (the same Haufe doing transformers) suggested this to me).
It is just I don't know anything when it comes to metal work ...

[silent:arts] said:
Mine are made from 1,25mm DC01 (I don't have any idea why my manufacture (the same Haufe doing transformers) suggested this to me).
It is just I don't know anything when it comes to metal work ...

According to Wikipedia, the D means flat products for cold forming and the C means cold worked. I read somewhere that cold rolled steel is  better for this application but I am blowed if I can remember where I read it.

Cheers

Ian

I use cold-rolled electrogalvanized steel, 0.5mm gauge
My metalwork subcontractor orders it with a dual protective plastic sheet that protects against punch marks.
With the zinc galvanization, I don't need additional finishing.
http://www.eu.nlmk.com/EN/03-Products/electrogalvanized-steels.aspx

ruffrecords said:
What grade, thickness and finish do 500 series module manufacturers use for the steel side plates of their products or indeed what do you guys use and why?

Cheers

Ian

LHS and RHS plates on our modules are 0.8mm.

On our modules the LHS plate is not carrying the PCB but totally the opposite. The PCB is carrying the LHS plate. Therefore there is no need for a heavier gauge. This is for serviceability. You do not have to take the entire module apart to be able to service it. Just four screws, and the LHS plate comes off giving you access to the entire solder side of the PCB.

Finish is zinc passivated.

sahib said:
ruffrecords said:

Cheers

Ian

LHS and RHS plates on our modules are 0.8mm.

On our modules the LHS plate is not carrying the PCB but totally the opposite. The PCB is carrying the LHS plate. Therefore there is no need for a heavier gauge. This is for serviceability. You do not have to take the entire module apart to be able to service it. Just four screws, and the LHS plate comes off giving you access to the entire solder side of the PCB.

Finish is zinc passivated.

Interesting. So what holds the PCB to the front panel?

Cheers

Ian

Back plate. Have a look at the assembly manual below;

http://www.totalaudiocontrol.com/docs/EQ-ONE-ASSEMBLY-MANUAL-9108.pdf

sahib said:
Back plate. Have a look at the assembly manual below;

http://www.totalaudiocontrol.com/docs/EQ-ONE-ASSEMBLY-MANUAL-9108.pdf

Ah, that makes sense. So the gap between the face plate and the back plate is just the thickness of the pot nuts?

Cheers

Ian

Back