U47 second mic build first U47

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilberweb

Hi, this is my first post on mics.
Been working on Dan's D-EF47 Microphone from http://www.vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com/ Awesome build.  Cant wait to see how it works. I do have a quick question on shield. does that go to audio ground or chassis ground. and mic side to mic body.

-Larry

Attachments

• IMG_20160703_205221.jpg
    IMG_20160703_205221.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 139
wilberweb said:
Hi, this is my first post on mics.
Been working on Dan's D-EF47 Microphone from vintagemicraphones.com Awesome build.  Cant wait to see how it works. I do have a quick question on shield. does that go to audio ground or chassis ground. and mic side to mic body.

-Larry

To clarify. I assume you are talking about the mic to PSU cable not the 3 pin xlr connection. But yes shield should be connected to mechanical and audio ground. Both at the mic and the PSU. Look at an actual U47 schematic let that be your guide. Your ground(s) should have integrity through the whole system always.

Thanks for the information.... Yes the PSU
XLR 7 pin to mic and power supply. Also the XLR 3 pin has the shield as well. I have that shield connected to pin 1
I will check out the U47 schematic. I do think I have that one.

-Larry

Hey Larry,

it's only a stupid joke from my side, personally not aimed to you ;)

yannick is the guy who run something like micandmod (currently vintage-mic) which is not quite popular here, due some "sins" :D
There's few threads related to his products and overall business.
"French made" chinese parts ;)
Maybe mylar is french? Good that not again "german mylar" :D
Definately guy needs a good dictionary for the word "replica"...

Oh...... I see I thought that Dan' did vintage mics. I went to mic mods never purchased  any thing from them. My mic body is from chunger at Studio 939. and my capual and mic transformer is from Advanced Audio Microphones.  well I didn't know.

-Larry 

I didn't suspect even that  - it was only joke related to typo in name and overall some reminder about "y"  business by occasion.
You chose a good guys :D  ;D  ;)
If i ever stay a fan of PCB in tube mikes, definately go for Dan boards ;)
For the proper boards here's correct address:
http://www.vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com/

No worries Dan is really good. I love his boards too. He has  a great picture forum on his mics. Also super great guy. If you have a question about something he gets back to you right away.

-Larry

wilberweb said:
No worries Dan is really good. I love his boards too. He has  a great picture forum on his mics. Also super great guy. If you have a question about something he gets back to you right away.

-Larry

I personnaly met him, as we used to live at a 10 minutes drive, and he really is a super nice guy, and passionnate like I've rarely seen. He let me borrow some of his mics, just for fun, and for trial.

Avgatzeblouz said:
wilberweb said:

-Larry

I personnaly met him, as we used to live at a 10 minutes drive, and he really is a super nice guy, and passionnate like I've rarely seen. He let me borrow some of his mics, just for fun, and for trial.

Man, get one from Dan!

I know, the grass is always greener on the far side of the hill.

But I'd seriously look in my back yard and count my blessings!

I almost did, he had 2 mics for sale. But as you guys must have seen, I process things slowly. I miss deals because of that. I can afford to purchase one piece of gear every 2-3 years, so I always make sure it is the right one. i gather as much info as I can get, and especially as much trial as I can before making a purchase. But I will get things from him at one point, that is for sure (251 or 67, I don't know for now). Sorry to the OP to post this on this thread, I'll get back to my searchings !

I meant his M7 capsule.
I hear it's killer.

I am still shoppoing for the capsule, and on this side, I just want the best. So I contacted Sennheiser Canada, and I can get a Neumann K49 for 750 CAD. A Thiersch would be around 450 CAD. I personnaly am ready to wait in order to gather more money, if this capsule is worth it. After all, I agree this is the most important part. A flea F7 is around 550 CAD. Any experience someone can share ? I've read posts from Klaus Heyne stating that the Neumann capsules, even current ones, are the best (more vibey, 3D, according to his words) and most consistent ones to this day. I know quite well the M149, housing the K49, and while being a great mic, it is very clean, and far from a U47. Could that be a risk, having a mic to clean, or will the circuitry bring that 47 flavour ?

http://www.vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com/Caspsule.html

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=58663.0

I have an Ak47 capsule from http://advancedaudio.ca/products/ak47-capsule I haven't  hooked it up yet. I'm  not sure how it will sound. I was going to get one of Dan's D 7 it was a little more then I wanted to spend. I m not to sure about the circuitry being too clean.
I was going to think about building capsules. I have all the specs. I needed too much tooling. I may try it some day. 

-Larry

wilberweb said:
I have an Ak47 capsule from http://advancedaudio.ca/products/ak47-capsule I haven't  hooked it up yet. I'm  not sure how it will sound. I was going to get one of Dan's D 7 it was a little more then I wanted to spend. I m not to sure about the circuitry being too clean.
I was going to think about building capsules. I have all the specs. I needed too much tooling. I may try it some day. 

-Larry

Always is the option to change the capsule, am making rotation in mikes very often. Still previous capsule can be used in another circuit :)
Building capsules can be really great fun, still i didn't found supplier of foil.
Did you see Juris Zarins ear shaped capsule?  :)
What kind of specs do you have? Is it top secret or could you share with it?

ln76d
Thinking about building capsules my thing was building the Mylar  gold sputtering was what I didn't have the equipment. I can always get a small metal lathe. I have the specs on the capsule hole location. not top secret. I think I still have them I will look. I'm not sure where I got them. 

-Larry

Latest posts

Back