RME Raydat alternative?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ln76d

Does anyone knows some good alternative for RME raydat?
Preferd PCI Express and 36 input channels would be the best ;)

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hdspe_raydat.php

Motu?

You could pick up a 2408mk3 and then add whatever converters you want to it. I use an hd192 and a 2408mk3 with various converters (Apogee, lynx, etc...) running through the 2408mk3.  The 2408mk3 acts like a bridge leaving the conversion to the ad da converters (apogee,  lynx, etc....). I cant go higher than 96k via the 2408mk3 but i never do anyway but i run 24-36 channels through a console with a ton of outboard patched in and plug ins without even a hiccup. i take that  back if i have bunch (like 15)  reverbs and plugs on a ton of channels it can get a little jittery. Im upgrading my pc so that will be solved with my newer pc.
That all said Rme's conversion is great and imo doesnt need other ad da converters.

Thanks ;)

Raydat also is bridge - that's what i need :)
Anyway i need something which is currently manufactured, and still available in shops.
Can't be from second hand.
Also i will have to make connection on at least 5m distance  so lightpipe is i think the best (or not?).
Another plus of raydat is no additional 19" brick :D
Anyway still looking :)

I you go into the details you'll quickly realize that the Raydat is almost without an option.
In general you get what you pay for with RME. The drivers are rock solid and still considered one of the best in the industry.
My experience with them is nothing but excellent and I have their products running since the mid 90ies.
Products include: Digi 96/8 PAD, Hammerfall, Fireface, Babyface, HDSPe Madi.
There was not one hick-up during that time. RME products are supported for more than 10 years typically.
Money well spend - What more can you expect?

Are you are going to change just the Computer?
What sample rate are you working on?
Is ADAT still a requirement?

If you need a high I/O count together with high sample rates and an optical connection I would suggest to move to MADI and stay with RME  ;)

I did this and moved from a Hammerfall solution to the HDSPe MADI together with two of D.O.Tecs Andiamo Converters.
One is the 'normal' Andiamo 32 Ch ADDA, the other is the Andiamo AES with 32 ch ADDA and 32 ch of ASE/EBU. This gives me 96 Channels of I and O in total + an additional unsymmetric 2ch DAC on the card itself for monitoring, etc.
Pretty awesome system. Never looked back ever since.

Note: The Andiamo converters are based around TI's PCM4204 for ADC... not the worst choice.
Similar to the RME converters the Andiamo ADDAs are produced by IMM in Germany.

chefducuisine said:
I you go into the details you'll quickly realize that the Raydat is almost without an option.
In general you get what you pay for with RME. The drivers are rock solid and still considered one of the best in the industry.
My experience with them is nothing but excellent and I have their products running since the mid 90ies.
Products include: Digi 96/8 PAD, Hammerfall, Fireface, Babyface, HDSPe Madi.
There was not one hick-up during that time. RME products are supported for more than 10 years typically.
Money well spend - What more can you expect?

Are you are going to change just the Computer?
What sample rate are you working on?
Is ADAT still a requirement?

If you need a high I/O count together with high sample rates and an optical connection I would suggest to move to MADI and stay with RME  ;)

I did this and moved from a Hammerfall solution to the HDSPe MADI together with two of D.O.Tecs Andiamo Converters.
One is the 'normal' Andiamo 32 Ch ADDA, the other is the Andiamo AES with 32 ch ADDA and 32 ch of ASE/EBU. This gives me 96 Channels of I and O in total + an additional unsymmetric 2ch DAC on the card itself for monitoring, etc.
Pretty awesome system. Never looked back ever since.

Note: The Andiamo converters are based around TI's PCM4204 for ADC... not the worst choice.
Similar to the RME converters the Andiamo ADDAs are produced by IMM in Germany.

...and  probably i will stay with RME :D
I was curious is there any alternative, especially in the same "package".
I couldn't find anything.
I sticked to RME long time ago, so i think it's healthy to consider other options :D

Still using multiface (2001 version) and it's still much better than many new interfaces.
Also am using often fireface - also pretty good.

For MADI i think i have still time, for some time i will probably change whole system, but currently i have converters - 24 channels of AD and 8 of DA as also i want to use multiface in stand-alone mode as another in/out.

convert ADAT or what have you to Dante and use with any computer or other devices in the network. no need for pcie cards anymore me thinks.

at least focusrite has a product for this, maybe others available as well https://us.focusrite.com/ethernet-audio-interfaces/rednet-3

Thanks, but this one, from my point of view is actually throw out the money :D
Completely no need any networking and rather i want to keep less 19" rack bricks than more ;)
For me ADAT is suffucient for now, so i need only a "link" between converters and computer.
Mostly am  even using 44.1kHz :D :D :D
If i wouldn't be so leazy i would think about the tape recording :D

ln76d said:
Does anyone knows some good alternative for RME raydat?
Preferd PCI Express and 36 input channels would be the best ;)
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hdspe_raydat.php
32 ADAT ?
RME are rocksolid........what is it you are actually trying too achive, ?

Maybe http://www.marian.de/en/products/seraph_a3_mwx
But only 24 ADAT
PCI-E is not a groundbreaker for audio data PCI is quitecapable, its all down to the machine you run it on ,!
And so is the RME  raydat, ....on a correctly configured PC , preferably 64 bit !
Personaly I use a vastly modified DDX3216.......with a DIY frontend to RME.
You're I/O specs are a little sparse ?
If Money is the problem ...find it
RME are by far the most stable audio internal PC interface out there...although the Marian I have yet to be test.
Don't see the problem ?

s2udio said:
32 ADAT ?
RME are rocksolid........what is it you are actually trying too achive, ?

I am looking for alternatives, google didn't gave me any.
I do not follow the news in the hardware so i was curious is there something new which i can't find googling.

Maybe http://www.marian.de/en/products/seraph_a3_mwx
But only 24 ADAT

Need 32 ;)

PCI-E is not a groundbreaker for audio data PCI is quitecapable, its all down to the machine you run it on ,!

No one say it's, but try to find new computer with PCI - so why bother?
PCI-E is current standard.

And so is the RME  raydat, ....on a correctly configured PC , preferably 64 bit !

Obvious :)

You're I/O specs are a little sparse ?

I'm confused here? What specs? Beside mentined 44.1kHz i didn't wrote anything about my I/O specs?

If Money is the problem ...find it

I didn't wrote anything about the price!?

Don't see the problem ?

Am glad, becuase i think there isn't any :D

Back