1176 Gyraf compressor with 2520 DOA mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Input section is built around two inverting unity-gain buffers (IC2a and IC2b=dual opamp NE5532) with their non-inverting inputs held at half supply voltage thru R3 and R4. I don't see any advantage in using a DOA in this spot and for adding colour, using a transformer instead of a balanced line receiver circuit might be the better plan. YMMV.

Ah ok, so the input to transformer and using a 600ohm T attenuator?

What about output stage?

I suppose I want to do this like the Igor F76, it's just my Gyraf 1176 sounds like crap compared to the mnats blue face 1176.

On investigating why the Gyraf version didn't sound very good, I have replaced all leads to patch bay and now sounds much better!
As long as I keep output down it sounds pretty good, albeit a bit lifeless and lackin character compared with blue stripe.

Going to look into API style compressor, as have  four spare 2520 doa.

Spence.

I Don't know if you already knew it, but there is a mod for the GSSL which incorporates four  2520 DOAs and two 2503 transformers. It is called cavendish mod. Maybe you can use them for that.

Back