Impressions Dangerous Audio BAX EQ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

Did someone ever take a look inside the Dangerous Audio BAX EQ?
When I take a look at the specs and the inside picture of this unit, it seems it is a rather high price for a Baxandall EQ.
Or is it 'something special'?!
(OK, lots of relays and probably Elma switches inside, but still...)

Attachments

• BAX-EQ.jpg
    BAX-EQ.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 356
I think with ready made API Modules it is even worse . . . no power supply or proper housing but easily beyond 800$/€ or even higher a piece!
Most of the time this is for re-issues or their variants where almost no further development is necessary.
Other more modern units consist of a bunch of op-amps in more or less basic circuit arrangements or by copying circuits from a data sheet...
I don't get it - That's why I am here (DIY rules 8)).

On the other hand remember who is in the food chain from manufacturer to customer (sales and distributor, wholesaler, marketing, etc.,etc.). The manufacturer must take the risk of getting a number of units manufactured to be in a position to deliver to the market quickly and to issue a few units for free due to marketing purposes.

On top don't ignore the fact that the remaining market for outboard units isn't that big any more...

John Doe doesn't need that amount of hardware in his bedroom studio. In their thinking an USB interface and number of pirated Comp/EQ plugins will do the job. ::)
Sad, but these are the times we live in...

I'm thinking this one was made to be sold on hype, not originality in design.

I was positively underwhelmed when test-driving it

For part selection: Why would you use Elma switches and then control by relays?

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
I'm thinking this one was made to be sold on hype, not originality in design.

I was positively underwhelmed when test-driving it

For part selection: Why would you use Elma switches and then control by relays?

Jakob E.

So the knobs feel good when you turn them ::)

RuudNL said:
Did someone ever take a look inside the Dangerous Audio BAX EQ?
When I take a look at the specs and the inside picture of this unit, it seems it is a rather high price for a Baxandall EQ.
Or is it 'something special'?!
(OK, lots of relays and probably Elma switches inside, but still...)

It actually sounds nice, but it´s not as versatile as the price tag would make you think it is.

Isolated grounds maybe? To fill up the emptyness? Who knows..

dagoose said:
BTW, why two transformers? Looks like 1 psu is for the relays (just a trany and bridge?) and the second one is the regular lm317/337 for the opamps.

chefducuisine said:
John Doe doesn't need that amount of hardware in his bedroom studio. In their thinking an USB interface and number of pirated Comp/EQ plugins will do the job. ::)
Sad, but these are the times we live in...

To be honest that will do the job, I dont see any problem with Compressor or EQ plugins, there's really good plugins on the market and they sound pretty good, and are more than capable of being used for tracking and mixing in a good sounding record.

I don't agree with you, I think we live in happy times, where people can make great records at their bedroom without having to spend a lot of money on equipment that they don't need.

You might have your expensive console, and outboard compressors and EQ's and making great records with it, it's fine, but none of those thinks are needed to make a great record or a great sounding record.

Latest posts

Back