Turkey? coup? WTH?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though, I live in Glasgow.

I have been talking to friends/family and it looks quite clumsy. It can easily be a "theatre". We'll wait and see what it turns out to be. Tragedy or comedy.

Looks like it is under control now. Police have swiftly arrested the troops on the ground and that's pretty much the end of it. But serious number of deaths from soldiers, police and civilians. Not so good.

Hi all

To me it's not a surprise at all after few years with Erdogan politic, part of it was to dismantle Kemalist part of army.

At one side we have "democratic" government with Erdogan, clearly repressing more and more opponent, in an Islamic view of politic...
At other side "republican" Kemalist, with over 80 years of history, which is laic, claiming revolution inherited from 1789. But also with nationalism in it...

Both side have blood on theirs hands.
Not an easy equation  :-\

Anyway, the situation seems "in hand" by government now.

I wish the best for ours Turkish members, be safe and take care !!!

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
Hi all

To me it's not a surprise at all after few years with Erdogan politic, part of it was to dismantle Kemalist part of army.

At one side we have "democratic" government with Erdogan, clearly repressing more and more opponent, in an Islamic view of politic...
At other side "republican" Kemalist, with over 80 years of history, which is laic, claiming revolution inherited from 1789. But also with nationalism in it...

Both side have blood on theirs hands.
Not an easy equation  :-\

Anyway, the situation seems "in hand" by government now.

I wish the best for ours Turkish members, be safe and take care !!!

Best
Zam
One question is does this make Erdogan more authoritarian and more conservative?

I hope all our friends in Turkey are OK.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
One question is does this make Erdogan more authoritarian and more conservative?

I hope all our friends in Turkey are OK.

JR

Hi JR

You are right, this is of course the main question now.
In my opinion, I reply NO to this question, Erdogan wont be more fascist (to use one word in place of your two words  :p )
BUT we will see it faster and more clearly...
I still have a doubt, the way you put it, you think he run or let run this on purpose?

For what I understand here the martial law and curfew claimed last night was a government call, not a military call.
But I'm not sure about that right now...
Also it's not clear who run the F16 and drop bomb to parliament in Ankara, army to take the place or government to put them out?

We will see what will be the sentence for those who run the putsch, will Turkey go back with death sentence.

The timing is bad in Europe to run a coup in Turkey, none in EU or US can openly support this (even if I suspect lot of them hoping for this...Angela ?)
As this is also a communication war, everything is set in the very first few hours. I think with absolutely no external politic support they decide to stop fast, otherwise I'm sure it's not hundred but thousand dead around. I don't think they wish a civil war, they are military, not anarchist ...

Best
Zam

JohnRoberts said:

It did, unfortunately.

"Loyalists arrested 2,839 army members and removed 2,745 judges from duty, according to authorities and broadcaster NTV, as Erdoğan’s government began to purge the government and military of suspected dissidents."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara

zamproject said:
......Also it's not clear who run the F16 and drop bomb to parliament in Ankara, army to take the place or government to put them out?.....

Best
Zam

That is very easy. ( I did my military service in an airbase). The base commander is a  brigadier general and essentially has all the planes and weaponry under his command. All it takes is to stray away from the main chain of command.

There have been some bad decisions taken in Turkey recently.

There was an opportunity missed to  make peace with the Kurds and join forces to fight against IS.

Why declare war on IS and the Kurds at the same time??????  That makes no rational sense.

Why shoot down the Russian plane instead of just buzzing it???

I have my suspicions that Turkey may have been turning a blind eye to IS and their supply routes for some time, as they are both anti Assad. 

A change of Turkey's prime minister seems to have changed policy overnight, what is that all about?

I think Erdogan has seen this coup as a golden opportunity to take complete control and he will become a dictator.

I hope some of our Turkish members will help me understand what is going on.

Best
DaveP

Although Erdogan speaks of democracy, the people and unity, Turkey is divided to the bone.
Intimidation and threatening are going on, even among Turkish people in my country.
Turkish GDIY members might not be so eager to give their opinion here.

DaveP said:
There have been some bad decisions taken in Turkey recently.

True. A lot.

There was an opportunity missed to  make peace with the Kurds ...

How can you make peace when they want to divide the country?

I am not judging the Kurds and Kurdish movement here. At the end of the day if they achieve that then it all becomes legitimate. So, from a moral perspective there are no rights or wrongs.

I have my suspicions that Turkey may have been turning a blind eye to IS and their supply routes for some time, as they are both anti Assad. 

You may not be wrong. Don't ask me more. And I mean it.

A change of Turkey's prime minister seems to have changed policy overnight, what is that all about?

The plan to  get rid of secularism and turn Turkey into an Islamic State is done in stages. And in each stage anybody that does not agree with Erdogan goes. The rest is just peripheral stuff and not worth talking about.

I think Erdogan has seen this coup as a golden opportunity to take complete control and he will become a dictator.

You bet. World leaders are already warning him but he does not care.

This is a guy who wants to get rid of Assad but to become one for Turkey.

micaddict said:

Although Erdogan speaks of democracy, the people and unity, Turkey is divided to the bone.

My fear with this failed coup attempt is that now we know not only the public in Turkey divided but also the military. This is not good at all. That's how a civil war starts.

Erdogan and his henchman has got only one aim,  and it is to turn Turkey into an Iranian model but Sunni Islamic State. I have known him and his movement since mid '70s and this has been their ambition in life.

I'm sorry to hear this Sahib and no more questions from me.

Quote from Ataturk:

Everything we see in the world is the creative work of women.
Peace at home, peace in the world.
Sovereignty is not given, it is taken.

Seems to me that only the last line is being listened to.

Best
DaveP

DaveP said:
Quote from Ataturk:

Kemal give the woman right to vote in 1930 !!!
here in France ... 1946 ...

In the few past days thing get worst and worst, hope the country won't explode.

Best
Zam

DaveP said:
I'm sorry to hear this Sahib and no more questions from me.

Quote from Ataturk:

Seems to me that only the last line is being listened to.

Best
DaveP

No problem Dave. Although I have lived in the UK more than I lived in Turkey I still have strong ties with it.

Yes this is a guy that the Erdogan "tayfa" swears at day in day out and wants to get rid of his secularity.

Ataturk had everything in his power to declare his sultanate. He had the army and he had a population who knew nothing other than "submission" to the sultan. Instead he gave people democracy. It is most unfortunate that half of which still is not able to comprehend and does not want.

Latest posts

Back