Pultec EQP-1A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quayhog

I'm getting ready to build up a pair of Rainton's EQP-1a chassis.  I've managed to acquire all of the specialized parts with the exception of the HS-29 interstage transformer 20k-80k with its 1:2 ratio.  I have several possible choices I've acquired over the years but none have the 1:2 ratio of the original. 
Which would make the best substitution?

Langevin TF412B 20k-60k (1:1.82) estimate (no CT)
Triad HS-27 15k-60k (1:172),  NOS
UTC A-18 15k-80k (1:2.3),  NOS
Halldorson H4000 15k-60k (1:1:172)

These all have suitable frequency response, I'm not sure of db ratings.

The HS-27  is my preferred choice too. Trouble is I only have one and I have a pair of chassis coming.  I'm thinking build one project with Triads and the second one with the UTC.  I have  UTC A-20 600:600, and a Triad HS-56.  The S-217d are Cinemag reproductions.

I need to disqualify the Halldorson and the Langevin. They are designed for single grid circuits.  They are otherwise nice transformers awaiting a project.

I used the inductor from vintage wings.com.  Seems top drawer.  I'm 2/3 throwing the builds.  I used Triads for on and UTC for the other.  The 600:600 are no issue.  I needed to use a Triad HS-27  (1:1.72 ratio) ant on the UTC one I used an A-18 (1:2.8 ratio).  I should know soon enough.

Quayhog said:
I used the inductor from vintage wings.com.  Seems top drawer.  I'm 2/3 throwing the builds.  I used Triads for on and UTC for the other.  The 600:600 are no issue.  I needed to use a Triad HS-27  (1:1.72 ratio) ant on the UTC one I used an A-18 (1:2.8 ratio).  I should know soon enough.

id love to know how it worked out....

Quayhog said:

How does the HF look out to 50KHz with the HF boost on 16K, narrow band width and full boost? Do you see a significant HF rise starting about 22KHz extending out to 50KHz? That's what I got with the Vintage Windings inductor. Was able to get rid of the inductor ringing by using the Carnhill inductor and tuning the Zobel network on the interstage.

Latest posts

Back