Please recommend caps for microphones

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtl777diy

Hey guys, what are some of the best caps (not electrolytic) for microphones?  What brands of caps do you use for your projects?

Thanks!  :)

mtl777diy said:
Hey guys, what are some of the best caps (not electrolytic) for microphones?  What brands of caps do you use for your projects?

Do you have any schematic or specific microphone which want to build or mod?
Am using very different brands and capacitor types, but most important is the part of the circuit where it need to be used.

Hey guys, thanks for your replies!

ln76d said:
Do you have any schematic or specific microphone which want to build or mod?
Am using very different brands and capacitor types, but most important is the part of the circuit where it need to be used.

I don't really have a specific circuit part in mind, just looking for a general consensus.  You see, I bought a tube mic which has Wima caps, and I want to have an idea based on your replies if my mic is using one of the best caps for microphones.  :)

You see, I bought a tube mic which has Wima caps, and I want to have an idea based on your replies if my mic is using one of the best caps for microphones.

Well, in that case it would help a lot if you told us what tube microphone that is.  8)

And do you have pictures of the PCB?

Yeah, PCB pics would be helpfull, especially if it's tube mike, you could swap some :)
Also change some values etc.
Despite capacitors types, there's a lot other things in the circuit which could improve much more your microphone!

This is the outsatnding for microphone caps.....

http://www.musikding.de/Vishay-MKT1813_1

They are produce like from first day of producing Roederstein capacitors!!!

iprovlek said:
This is the outsatnding for microphone caps.....

http://www.musikding.de/Vishay-MKT1813_1

They are produce like from first day of producing Roederstein capacitors!!!

iprovlek said:
And this under capsule....

http://www.musikding.de/Polysterene-axial

And if you find this vintage ones they are the best!!!

;)

Thank you so much, Iprovlek!  I hope these are available at DigiKey or Mouser.

Does anybody know what caps are used in the ADK Z Mod line of mics?

ln76d said:
Henk do you have some telepatic skills? :D

LOL

If I had, I'd likely be a billionaire.  ;)

Nah, I'd use them for other purposes.

ok, so why would you think it's 3uaudio? :D

I think I know the OP from another forum.
(Yes, that one. But don't scare him away now!)

Anyway, let's wait until the folks across the pond have all woken up.

Yeah, I'm a part-time Slut myself.
But don't tell anyone.  ;)

Hey, could you please post pictures of the PCB?  :p
Guosheng shows the PCBs on his own site (nice treat), but your model is (still) rare and doesn't get mentioned on the site, yet.

mtl777diy said:

There are many things that affect the sonic quality of a microphone: capsule is #1, transformer, if any, is #2, circuit topology is #3, caps are about #13, just before the solder brand and the pubis hair colour of the designer...

Back