Mastering comp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buschfsu

Guys

I have a gssl turbo that i use and i built a stock prr vari mu that i learned a ton from and gave to a dear friend but now im looking for a smooth comp for mastering.  Any suggestions? Available boards would be a big plus.

Jason

33609 very smooth sound for me. But the pcb's are hard to find. There is sometimes pcb kits in black market.

I know a mastering studio in germany and they have a pico compressor. it used to be a diy project but now a commercial unit. if someway you get those schematic or pcbs I think it is a good project for mastering.

I like the D-OAC for quite transparent compression, within the constraints of the vactrol/led timing characteristics ...

Of course, mastering needs a lot of matching across the left and right channels, as well as repeatability.

One can easily build it with some quite close tol switched rotary  'Input' and 'Output' controls

I like the ebay ural 24pos populated attenuaters ... with Dale resistors no less. Still very affordable, considering the effort :)  I  did myself a couple of times, now I just get the ebay HK ones!

Other than that, a trimmer in the 'vactrol-led' sidechain for matching response as best as one can.

The pcbs are easy and the stock circuit showed a high degree of left/right matching with common tubes and components, in my build.

There was a 'vactrol/led' pcb floating around, to clean up that functionality of the pcb (which is a little clunky as is, imho).

The circuit itself is very clean, in terms of THD and the output stage has some nice features - very quiet in terms of hum and noise floor is exceptional - I used a toroidal on board psu traffo.

I used Jensen input traffos and Carnhill output traffos and EH toobs  - that's certainly a great combo!

So - D-OAC from Analag/Silent Arts gets my thumbs up - carefully put together can be great for mastering.

Good luck with it!

Latest posts

Back