3D printer knobs wanted

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocinante

I've yet to actually feel and use knobs made with a 3D printer but Im in need of the gray (aluminum) fluted Neve knobs made for usually trims but that also come in burgundy and dark blue like the ones on the Neve 8816.  I need 10 burgundy, 10 blue or gray and 5 gray.  I know the material isnt aluminum but am hoping that it would still be alright. Let me know as I'm sure one of you guys must have at least tried something similar.
Cheers
Dylan

Hello

You dont happen to have a CAD or STL/Obj file for these knobs do you?

Easier not to have to design them if the file already exists

Thanks
Mac

Would you happen to have drawings or pictures with exact dimensions?

Failing that a reference picture?

Not sure if this helps, but there are cheap 'Marconis' on Aliexpress....

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Marconi-style-6-35mm-colorful-plastic-guitar-knob-with-set-screw/32454782217.html

Ya know what knob is moss in need of replication?  The Altec/Langevin/Electrodyne/etc 'Rolo' fader knob. I get asked for a stash of these constantly, and could use 20-30 myself. 

0003405_altec-9073a-graphic-eq-plus-fairchild-661tl.jpeg

mjrippe said:
Is this the style you are talking about?  http://r.ebay.com/pMntMj

Yes!

I know they are aluminum and tektronix makes knobs that are very similar but they are all 1/8" and short. At $10 a pop (at best) and I need a lot so its wayyy too much. 

I was thinking that perhaps a hybrid approach would be the most satisfying...I have done this a few times with good results.

Silicone mold for getting the outer shape and detail.

3D printed component to produce inner shaft or whatever is needed to connect to your device.
Alternatively you could use the shaft of an old pot if it was the correct dimensions.
And a 3D printed jig to make it all stay together until the polymer sets

Numerous possibilities

Trickiest part is likely color matching...that may take a bit of work

The Altecs look fairly straightforward btw.

maq3396 said:
I was thinking that perhaps a hybrid approach would be the most satisfying...I have done this a few times with good results.
Silicone mold for getting the outer shape and detail.
3D printed component to produce inner shaft or whatever is needed to connect to your device.
Alternatively you could use the shaft of an old pot if it was the correct dimensions.
And a 3D printed jig to make it all stay together until the polymer sets
Numerous possibilities
Trickiest part is likely color matching...that may take a bit of work
The Altecs look fairly straightforward btw.

Love this post.

giphy.gif

Cool. I have a lot on my plate (just got into microcontrollers via arduino and teensy) but the silicon looks very promising. I should think the burgundy and dark blue are easy enough to match.  Thanks. This looks interesting.

If someone can recommend the best place and part number to get some "sample knobs" from I will give it a go.

Thanks
Mac

Also loving this post,

I also need a couple of the knobs for the old style Paintons faders  as used in the REDD desks?

If anyone can help let me know...

Attachments

• 8564989643_db957d08b6_z.jpeg
    8564989643_db957d08b6_z.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 37
Just the knobs?

That should be reasonably straight forward.

Havent been able to find decent pictures and there seem to be a few variations.

Can you post pics (or send them my way) from a few different angles please?

Thanks
Mac

Back