mac or pc with protools

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="chrissugar"]Peranders wrote:
(I have used Mac since 1986 and PC since W95 and use still both. Guess which OS I like the best?)

should I guess? Windows 3.1 :twisted:
[/quote]
As I said, I started with WIndows 95, never worked with 3.1.... and the answer is Mac :grin:

Been using macs since the Mac Classic. and using PCs since 286s.

I used to build PCs as well (from 486sx till P3).

they both have their territory. For huge offices with lots of worker-bees in cubicles doing typical office stuff (from Human resources to financial work and basic "MS Office" demands) a PC is probably best suited. why well for no other reason other than price point. (granted the Mac Mini is now barking up that tree)

however, for graphics, CAD, film/video editing and effects, Music composition and audio editing ... Macs excel !

for technical issues, i have found over many years of providing tech support for various Sound/Audio industry companies that macs are far easier to diagnose and cure/fix than PCs.

with OSX a lot of things a just taken care of for you, which is nice. If one is so inclined to "tweek" they can do so withthings like Terminal.

(Personally running TDM MIX3 in OSX and OS9 on G4, 001 In OSX and OS9 on G4, and MBox in OSX on G4iBook)

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster...

If this question was asked during the win98 vs. mac os9 days, I would have said, hands down, go mac. These days with win XP and OSX, Pro Tools runs well on both. However, if you are a professional engineer and work in commercial facilities (or would like to), there is an advantage in knowing the mac platform. In my experience, at least 90% of these places are still running macs. As a PC user, you will be in the minority and will be at a slight disadvantage when it comes to troubleshooting and generally working fast with shortcuts and file management stuff. Also, almost all the projects I receive come in on mac formatted drives and being able to talk "mac speak" with my clients is invaluable when helping them with technical issues. But then again, I'm a died in the wool mac guy...

Another bonus - I don't run anti-virus software and haven't seen a mac virus in 5 years. I'm on the net everyday. Either way, good luck!

Robert

Peranders wrote:
"As I said, I started with WIndows 95, never worked with 3.1.... and the answer is Mac"

Yes, there was no confusion in my head about it, but Win3.1 was something terible, so I could't resist to mention it. :twisted:

chrissugar

wow , thx guys for the replies:).., i've seen some realy interesting points for both machines, as far as plugins i'm not gonna run alot of them, since i still prefer hardware over software although some plugins do sound pretty good. i think i'm gonna go for a G5 mac although it comes with a funny mouse :wink: 1 button?? ...errrrr

thnx again :thumb:

[quote author="capstan cappy"]it comes with a funny mouse :wink: 1 button??[/quote]

Get rid of that piece of junk and get yourself a 2-button mouse. If it comes with a little scroll wheel, even better.

Peace,
Al.

Yeah, lose the stock mouse as fast as you can. I use a 4 button Microsoft (eek) Intellimouse and program all my tools (Sellector, Trimmer, Grabber) to activate on each button. It rocks.

RD

ok i know a lot a peeps love their pc's so...
if it's workin for you and you love it great!
but....
quite seriously ....
you couldn't give me a windows unit ...once again nothing personal peeps
(people have and they are given away or just sit)
first of all if your machine will be connected to the web in any way shape or form the question is not will you be hacked/infected but when...
there are thousands of virus' for windows and only about 5 for the mac (no kidding)

**ALSO** and this is really my fav thing

with windows you have .dll files and there everywhere on your computer
with a mac all computer funcionality lies in 3 places
1 youir extensions folder
2 your control panels folder
3 your system folder.

EVERYTHING ELSE ON YOUIR COMPUTER IS EITHER FILES OR PROGRAMS

nice huh

in the event of a conflict yoiu simply start up with the shift key held down to disable extensions and your comuter will start up and all you have to to is remove the offending extension or control panel (usually occurs after adding a program...just go to the last program extension added)
OR youi can start up with a mac bare bones set up.

there's million more reasons but this is just to name a few favs.

hope you like your new mac and if you need help feel free to contact me.
bye for now
Toobie Snack

i´ts easy .have much many /mac and "fashion" protools.you don´t have many pc/nuendo (works very well) in nuendo you can record in aiff format.

in nuendo you can record in aiff format.
yes but why bother when broadcast wave is considered pro standard. why I really like about Nuendo is that it will open an OMF without any extra software or $$.
For the life of I will never understand why people pay good money to have digitranslator just to open an OMF in Pro Tools when PRo Tools should do it standard. After all Avid owns Digidesign? but like anything else "why? because they can"

i told this already many times before. :roll:

Go Soundscape and have the option to all formats and 99,99 % crashproof, even on PC, but who listens? :?

Damn, and i wasn't going to get caught in this mac/pc debate... :green:

"For the life of I will never understand why people pay good money to have digitranslator just to open an OMF in Pro Tools when PRo Tools should do it standard. After all Avid owns Digidesign? but like anything else "why? because they can". "

This kind of things, their attitude and their upgrade policy made me drop them after almost 10 years of ProTools use. They can have the best product in the world, I don't care if they behave like a*holes. I don't buy anymore their products. Maybe one day if they change their attitude...

chrissugar

Back