Stephen Paul Mix mag microphone articles

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the head's up! I lost my dog-eared copies years ago. This is a great resource and tribute to Stephen Paul.

It is great thing they posted these articles. Very good resource.
I still have somewhere those articles in paper form, I think it was in 1988 or 89.
By the way, anyone have news about the Stephen Paul mic since they showed it at NAMM.

chrissugar

[quote author="Gus"]a 5751 for a 6072a?? a jensen for a neumann bv8?[/quote]

Yeah, that raises an eyebrow.

But on a different topic...how 'bout the analysis of the effect of the U47's grille on frequency response? I had forgotten that Stephen graphed a U47 with and without grille installed.

The grill thing got my attention as well. You know, Gus has been telling us all along that the grill matters. :wink:

I've been playing with a few ideas in my head. We'll see if I can ever get around to building them.

The grill stuff was known by others (SPA, Neumann study the u49, etc) about before I posted here. I had read something on the web about the grills making a difference. It might have been a Klaus post at the Neumann pinboard years ago.

I then started to test it for myself and was suprised at how great a difference the mesh (holes per inch % open area and layers) make and also how much the shape can change the sound.

The u47 stuff is very interesting. Its all about energy storage and release just like the inductors and caps and resistors in EQs

the whole capsule grill thing is very interesting. The electronics are easy compared to the capsule and grill IMO.

Does anyone know what happened to the mic Stephen was working on when he died?

It would be a nice memorial to the man if his work were realized posthumously.

Studio Projects, the company building the Stephen Paul Microphone, had a prototype demo at one of the trade shows not too long ago. Otherwise, I don't know much about what's happening. Maybe Alan will come by and chime in.

[quote author="kato"]Does anyone know what happened to the mic Stephen was working on when he died?

It would be a nice memorial to the man if his work were realized posthumously.[/quote]

Here is the link to PMI group Stephen Paul microphone forum.

Back