S52 - Small Diaphragm Condenser Tube Microphone (5840, NT10/3)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built second S52 microphone. Thank you Piotr for great design and all tips. For this mic I used 10pF C0G feedback capacitor for lowering the output of microphone. In C1 position I choosed 3n3F cap and in C2 1nF capacitor. R3=100M and plate R6  resistor 200K. Im going to build another two microphones.

Stock BM80 (and also Pronomic) capsule sounds a little bit "harsch" compared to Maiku SDC capsule. Cant recommend Maiku SDC capsules more. Capsules from Banzai´s KM84 body kits fit on ISK BM80, Pronomic SCM-1 bodies...

Here some detailed photos:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

I think i can just about make out "Omni", "Card" and "Fig8" there, so... You do the math ;)

Hint: That likely doesn't work with these SDC's, though ;D

dasnevestheo said:
great ! what's that mod switch on your two lower PSUs ?

Khron is right.

Lower two PSU´s are for my two M49c microphones. Working great. Same psu pcbs. I added only different connector and 3 position 1 pole switch for switching cardiod, omni and fig8. Just simple voltage divider with two 1M resistors. Sorry for misunderstanding and little off topic.

Attachments

• polarisation switch.jpg
    polarisation switch.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 92
That looks like awesome fun to build! I've been thinking about putting a tube in one of mine for a while and this makes me feel like I need to get my arse into gear and join in the fun!! Nice job!

Hey there !
I've just started building a pair of those mics. Only part missing is the plastic cone that connects to the capsule. I don't know how it's called so i have no idea where to source them... Any clues ?

I'm using pronomic capsule and body as well but i don't have the original circuit nor plastic cone (i bought capsule and body only on ebay). So i should buy 2 pronomics and savage them just for those plastic parts ? Is there no other way around? :/

I second this. I've never seen them sold anywhere separately, but Banzai may be able to help.

Maybe there's an opportunity for someone to make "Audiophile Grade After-Market Pointy Sproingy Bits"  ;D

Vac11 said:
Oh... Try contact Banzai. Maybe he have some spare. I dont know store selling those parts separately.

Hi,

i have them stock. Mic pcbs and also PSU pcbs suitable for this microphone.
PM me if you are interesting in.

M.

Finished mine yesterday with the PCBs from Vac11.
Used my Pronomic bodies and capsules.
I am also really happy with the result.
The built is quite easy and the mic sounds like I expected... awesome !

Attachments

• 2728AF06-313A-4425-8008-678C583B9792.jpeg
    2728AF06-313A-4425-8008-678C583B9792.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 97
I see no problem to try it with LDC capsule. You can easily set higher polarisation voltage with resistor devider or increasing B+ voltage….

TillM said:
Used my Pronomic bodies and capsules.

Which one did you use for the build, the one with the round holes on the top of the capsule or the black one currently listed on their site (with the straight cuts from side to side on the top ...) ?

THanks.

I used the ones with the round holes in top, which look nearly like the capsule from Banzai.
The capsules from Banzai sound better, I put them in the mic. So hopefully, there will be another groupbuy.

Back