FEELER: Authentic P2P Pultec MEQ-5 chassis

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hanso said:
As a beginner, would it be completely stupid of me to join in on this one? I was of course planning on something a little easier, you know, like a complete kit with all parts included.

The guide you are planning to make, Martin, how detailed will it be? Will it be readable for a novice?

Hey Hanso,

the circuit itself - especially the amp circuit of the MEQ-5 is very simple.
But you could go to my White Market thread and check the wiring guide etc. of the EQP-1A and see if it's readable for you.
Then you can judge for yourself:

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=63423.0

The EQP-1A has a more complex amp circuit compared to the MEQ5, so the latter should actually be a little bit easier to read.

But as Hugo said: It's a tube project and there's over 300V in some parts of the circuit compared to 30V in an 1176!
So it might indeed be a good idea to start with a well documented low voltage kit first.

BTW: We're at 16 chassis now - if we can get only 4 more chassis together there'll be a price drop for all of us!! So come on guys  ;)

Thank you very much Hugo and Martin! That sounds like excellent advice. I feel I need a little experience before I risk my life for a piece of tube gear.

I am kind of tempted to sign up for a chassis anyway, it's so beautiful! It can sit on the shelf for a while and I can get on with it when I'm ready... Will let you know about that.

I take one !
Don't know, when I have the time to build it, but I know, that I will come to a point, where I would really regret to pass on this offer.

I'll take 2 had mentioned i might be interested in one ealier but had not committed. So 2 total for 59flame  thanks scot

Rainton's reproduction chassis' are very well done.  In case you have never seen one take it from me the quality is high.  Well worth the purchase.  This MEQ-5 will be my 4th build using his chassis. I'm already down for one.

hugo said:
Do you plan to make the HLF-3c ?..my pultec collection would be "complete" !

If we can gather enough interest why not. But I believe could be a little more difficult to find enough people...

I'll extend the feeler until the weekend - we're at 17 or 18 chassis right now - we're so close to the next price drop!

hopefully we can reach the magic 20!

Martin

BTW: here's a little peak into my unit using my prototype chassis:

ojpd8n.jpg

hanso said:
Thank you very much Hugo and Martin! That sounds like excellent advice. I feel I need a little experience before I risk my life for a piece of tube gear.

I am kind of tempted to sign up for a chassis anyway, it's so beautiful! It can sit on the shelf for a while and I can get on with it when I'm ready... Will let you know about that.

Just to have no regrets when you will want stereo  operations, make like me, just take 2 of them ! ^^

Alright guys,

that makes it 21  :D
WE MADE IT!!!

I'll still keep this feeler open until Sept. 18th - so whoever thought about joining us, better do it soon  ;)

Martin

I can not believe there are less than 20 peoples involved in this crazy product...it does not make any sense

Martin, I'm real close to taking two. I assume you used Vintage Windings inductors? And how difficult is it to get those wafer switches for freq selection? Thanks!

AusTex64 said:
Martin, I'm real close to taking two. I assume you used Vintage Windings inductors? And how difficult is it to get those wafer switches for freq selection? Thanks!

Very simple to find them on ebay very very cheap from army stock of eastern europe. These are ceramic rotary switches NOS you have to search

AusTex64 said:

Hey Robert,

As Hugo mentioned already the ceramic rotary switches are still very easy to obtain and pretty cheap as well.
You could either go for russian military switches like this one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-POLE-11-POSITIONS-RUSSIAN-UNSHORTING-CERAMIC-ROTARY-SWITCH/282176868339?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D39218%26meid%3D07b6f1c3bc7e41dfa7b77345d2c396b8%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D282034126061

Or since you're in the US you could also look for US-made NOS CENTRALAB  ceramic switches.
That's what was used in the vintage units, but they're more expensive and especially for buyers outside of US it makes little sense to go with them, since the russian made ceramic switches are pretty much identical to the Centralabs but way cheaper.

BTW - I received your message Robert but haven't found time yet to get back to you. I think your findings are extremely interesting and could be very valuable for the DIY community!! Maybe you should share some of it in my EQP-1A discussion thread and/or in the FB group (more info on that is to be found in the EQP-1A thread as well)
I will still try to respond to your message in full length as soon as I can :)

Martin

I updated the first post with a list of those who are part of the group buy.

All group buy members should be notified by now. If for whatever reason you haven't received a notification letter from me, please get in touch with me!

As soon as everybody has paid his share, I'll place the order with the manufacturer :)

Martin

Latest posts

Back