FEELER: Authentic P2P Pultec MEQ-5 chassis

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys!!
Finally I was able to finish my rev 1.0 of the BOM.
As always - it's made to the best of my knowledge, but mistakes can occur - so if you find any - please let me know :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u65fdad0maqdp6c/raintons_Pultec_MEQ-5Parts_List_rev.1_0.pdf

Thanks!
Martin

Darkhyrys said:
I'm a newbie so could you tell, for exemple what TYPE of resistor, what POWER RATING and what TOLERANCE? Because Mouser for exemple gives thousand references :( :( :(

Well, actually the confusion is not only with resistors but all components :( :(  I really don't know what and where to buy ??!! Damned, I'm blowing my mind on this !!!! Too many references. Arf :(
Does somebody made an explicit BOM with items reference numbers? I would make a statue of that guy in my garden ;)

In terms of resistors, in the amp and filter section you can take 0.5W carbon comps (more like the original) or metal film (more modern)

Except that one 5W resistor specified in the BOM and layout

In the power supply all Wattages are specified - here you can take carbon comp or if you want less drift metal oxide

All caps in the filter circuit can be 200V or probably even less.

For the rest if not specified choose 500V or above and your on the safe side.

I don't like to add mouser numbers to the BOM since for many people Mouser is not the best option.

Since you're in Europe i would choose Banzaimusic for resistors caps etc.
Much cheaper than mouser and easier to find the right components faster ;)

Darkhyrys said:
Hi again,
It's writted on the BOm that we need 2 x 0,2 uf and 2 x 0,47 uf in the low filter section. But on the layer, I only see one of each. What am I missing?

That's obviously a typo - you only need 1 each ;)

BOM updated - latest revision: 1.01

Thanks for letting me know :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7bpp4bbu540412h/raintons_Pultec_MEQ-5Parts_List_rev.101.pdf

Darkhyrys said:
ok, same thing with the 0,22uf in the mid filter section.

you write on the BOM we need a 0,33uf/200V cap for the power supply but it's writted 0,3uf on the layer.

Right about the 0.22uf - I updated rev. 1.01

Regarding the 0.33uf cap - 0.33uf IS a 0.3uf cap ;)

It's just one more decimal written - all 0.3uf caps I've seen so far are essentially 0.33uf - the next step would be 0.39 and one step down would be 0.27.

So as far as I know there's no 0.30uf cap  ???

Hi Martin,

I'm trying to find a proper Switchcraft 4PDT switch that's latching, like the one you used and is depicted in the layout drawing. Do you have a model number of the one used on MEQ-5? I have a couple of DPST Televers suitable for EQP-1A, but they won't work here. :-(

Thank you!

AusTex64 said:
Hi Martin,

I'm trying to find a proper Switchcraft 4PDT switch that's latching, like the one you used and is depicted in the layout drawing. Do you have a model number of the one used on MEQ-5? I have a couple of DPST Televers suitable for EQP-1A, but they won't work here. :-(

Thank you!

Hey Robert,

actually all these Switchcraft Telever (16000 series) switches can be made latching.
I was wondering the same thing too back then.

They are all momentary, but there's a small metal plate on these switches - held by a screw. remove it and it will be latching ;)

Did some research and figured out Switchcraft Telever 160012 should work. 4 pole, double throw.  Martin, is this what you used? Thanks.

The in/out switch appears to be Switchcraft Telever 160012.

Here's a lead for my fellow MEQ-5 builders - this guy sold me two of these for $25 each. Arrived today, very clean. He has 8 left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Switchcraft-Lever-Switch-160012-/381673848739?hash=item58dd88bfa3:g:clIAAMXQTT9RqLxr

you know, I just got to thinking. I've built(Drip) and worked on pultecs before. But i've never opened one of the filter boxes. How is that stuff all stuffed in there? How is it all arranged?

Knotty said:
you know, I just got to thinking. I've built(Drip) and worked on pultecs before. But i've never opened one of the filter boxes. How is that stuff all stuffed in there? How is it all arranged?

Here's some info http://www.vintagewindings.com/tech%20swag/Pultec-Facts-&-Fiction.pdf

They basically suspended the components in the can filled with melted wax. Which it appears had a tendency to deform or melt the caps to some extent. This concerns me, even though obviously a bunch of units were built like this by the original Pulse Techniques, and tons are still working.

GDIY member Gridcurrent suggested using a piece of perfboard to mount the components to, then attach it to the filter box somehow. That's what I'm going to do on my upcoming MEQ-5 builds. Might also use the spray foam used for sealing cracks on a house to fill the can and reduce any rattling.

another mistake in the layout found and solved - latest revision is 1.2

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cn5t2z828h8n6ax/raintons_MEQ-5_layout_rev1_2.pdf

Thanks!!
Martin

Latest posts

Back