FEELER: Authentic P2P Pultec MEQ-5 chassis

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martin,

On the CE metal can caps, did you use insulators in addition to the metal mounting plates? I can't really tell from the chassis pics.

Thanks.

AusTex64 said:
Martin,

On the CE metal can caps, did you use insulators in addition to the metal mounting plates? I can't really tell from the chassis pics.

Thanks.

The negative side of these caps has to be grounded to chassis ground.
You can either do that by using a metal mounting plate and scraping off a little bit of the powder coating underneath to provide continuity,
or you can use either a metal mounting plate or an insulator mounting plate - whatever you have at hand and connect one of the negative pins of the cap to one of its mounting screws...

I bought this one, works tiptop

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C2K5-2-5K-Reverse-Log-Potentiometer-with-Flatted-6mm-Shaft-Mono-Anti-log-Pot/111423921945?hash=item19f1621f19:g:sPUAAOSw7NNT2koq

Mouser has also one

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/TT-Electronics/P160KN-0FC18C2K5/?qs=%252bUYXD5bnyXr1QMpLnwE2%252bA%3d%3d

what did you guys use for the output transformer? Not many options for a 5:1 that will fit. The Sowter is a bit too big. Triads are hard to find and outrageously expensive. A-24 isn’t far behind. The Cinemag is too big too. It’s a pretty tight fit on that chassis.

Finally getting around to these...

Where did you find the 0.17uf caps? Mouser doesn't have them. I've also searched 170000pf and 17nf. 

Thanks!

AusTex64 said:
Finally getting around to these...

Where did you find the 0.17uf caps? Mouser doesn't have them. I've also searched 170000pf and 17nf. 

Thanks!

Hey Rob,

just make your own 0.17uf caps by putting 2 caps in parallel...like one 0.15uf + 0.02uf ;)

But depending on which coils you use I would leave the filter can open and measure - so you can tweak for sound and freq. while you're at it  ;)

Good luck!
Martin

Love you Martin, but you obviously have a lot more time on your hands and motivation than I. :)

I want to make music first and foremost. I will admit I’m also lazy. If you’ve done the work of listening to caps in all those positions, by all means please post a Mouser shopping cart and make my life easier!!!

Regarding the 0.17uf cap, I think a single part will have less phase shift than paralleled values. I’ve also been suspicious of bypassing caps for the same reason. I ended up buying 13 pcs of 0.17uf to get the two I need. Will be posting the others on eBay,  or PM me here if any of you guys you need some.

BTW, what gauge wire did you guys use on the filter unit that will allow 36 conductors to fit through the hole in the filter box and chassis? Is 26 gauge too big?

AusTex64 said:
BTW, what gauge wire did you guys use on the filter unit that will allow 36 conductors to fit through the hole in the filter box and chassis? Is 26 gauge too big?

I went with 22awg everywere at the filters. Originals seems to have 22 or even 20awg there (i can say bullsh*t, it is just regarding the pictures on the internet).

rainton said:
Hey Robert,

actually all these Switchcraft Telever (16000 series) switches can be made latching.
I was wondering the same thing too back then.

They are all momentary, but there's a small metal plate on these switches - held by a screw. remove it and it will be latching ;)

I bought this non- latching Switchcraft switch from ebay. Is there a way to make this latching? I can't work it out...

Attachments

• IMG_7407.jpg
    IMG_7407.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
There's usually a little plate on the top held on by a screw. Using or not using this part determines whether the switch will latch or not. I can only see one side of the switch so I assume it's missing.

Thanks for your replies.

Is that picture taken from behind the switch? I don't have the switch with me to check, but I have found this photo I took of it the other day from a different angle...

Attachments

• IMG_7406.jpeg
    IMG_7406.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 14
It's unfortunately the wrong one...
In my picture, which is from behind, , you see this clip, which says: non lock. If you leave it away, you have a latching switch. It's simple mechanics. Here's a pic from the side, without the little plate

Attachments

• Switchcraft.JPG
    Switchcraft.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 18
Back