RNC: I give up! <<<modding rant>>>

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundguy

I thought about moding an RNC as unlike most people, I think they are the worst sounding things on the planet. After some thought, I figured my time would be better spent desinging a limiter from scratch, or cobbling together parts from other limiters as the case may be. Much better way to go about things for me.

dave

Well, there's probably not much you can do to an RNC without going into some really serious mods. But, I have thought of a way to possibly turn it into a real killer 2 buss comp.

Basically, my (eventual) plan is to just use the RNC as a CV generating device, and send the audio path itself through a circuit that I'm working on for an improved SSL type compressor (JFET 992 opamps, servos, paralleled 2180s with AD797 buffers and a Jung superregulator P/S). I see no reason why that wouldn't work great for a RNC. I wonder if the CV is clean enough though...

Cheers,

Kris

just out of sheer curiosity since i was actually going to buy a pair of RNCs on many people's opinions.. What exactly doesn't sound good about it? i hear it's super transparent.. I already have a couple SSL and 1176 projects slowly being completed too though and waiting for someone to build and pass judgement on the Forssell opto too.

the rnc was designed to sound good for $150 and it does it well. It also sounds better than pretty much anything else in its price range, something else I'd agree with. It sounds pretty shitty to my ears though, and when it was released too many people saying "good for the money" through the telephone game turned into "good". It significantly degrades and constricts any signal that you put into it. Again, for $150 who gives a shit, but if you want to forget about that and discuss what it does-

Mult two channels of a CD, feed two to your console then two to your RNC, then to another two channels on your console. Make sure that the CD going into the RNC is above threshold so the RNC is not compressing or limiting at all, just passing the signal through the circuit but with no gain reduction. Then compare the two. that should be your answer right there. Play the same game with an 1176 or a 33609 or whatever. did I just compare a $150 RNC to a $3K neve, well, yes I did. If its not improving your signal path, its not improving your signal path, so why use it? I guess sometimes you need a compressor and sure, sometimes it doesnt matter, but this whole BS about it being so transparent really makes me want to first gag and second question the discretion of the person claiming its transparent. YES, the compression is transparent in the sense that its not pumping away if you dont want it to (to which I say, why use a compressor in the first place, but thats a different discussion) but the audio path is hardly transparent, my RNC shaves off a considerable amount of the high end and pretty much makes whatever you put into it sound lackluster coming out of it. But the compression is transparent.... Transparent control in a box that degrades, or at least in my opinion, doesnt enhance the audio path is a somewhat worthless feature for sure.

Granted, Im lucky to have some of the worlds finest limiters at my disposal in my studio, but ultimately this shouldnt matter too much. If you need a limiter thats cheap and works, the RNC rules. It does kind of suck though. If you are already building something, that $150 is SO well better spent on lundahls for your G1176. The RNC is apparently based on the SSL quad, loosely, the Gyraf SSL completely destroys the RNC on all fronts and you can build one of those for less than $150 if you dont use a sifam meter.

Again, this is my opinion, the rest of the world seems to love them, so whatever. Do that little a/b test for yourself and see if you think Im off my rocker. For the money, its a bargain, but its also stupidly cheap and you do get what you pay for in life.

dave

thanks for your input. I have never heard one personally and don't know anybody local that has one so I figured for the money it wouldn't be too much of a gamble, but I have now decided to use the cash to finish my other projects and possibly start another batch of SSLs as I already have a rack of cheap-o compressors that have been crazy modified just to make them usable...

Latest posts

Back