[BUILD] New FET/RACK Official Help Thread - Please read first post!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wmjohnson said:
No, not when i rotate the release.

Only by switching ratios. At 20:1 it's sitting at -6.6vdc.

strange update: just finished putting a rev F (red stripe, for searchability) together and its behaving identically. it works as expected at the shortest release time, as soon as i rotate it ccw the meter shoots left and it compresses. so, at the very least it it must be something i messed up on both of them.

wmjohnson said:
strange update: just finished putting a rev F (red stripe, for searchability) together and its behaving identically. it works as expected at the shortest release time, as soon as i rotate it ccw the meter shoots left and it compresses. so, at the very least it it must be something i messed up on both of them.

So to be clear the meter is moving (more than a 1/4 dB) with no signal as you rotate the release?

Mike

Hairball Audio said:
So to be clear the meter is moving (more than a 1/4 dB) with no signal as you rotate the release?

Mike

Yes, on both units it goes all the way left and tp7 rises almost to ground.

wmjohnson said:
Yes, on both units it goes all the way left and tp7 rises almost to ground.

Ya I'm stumped.  Check the polarity on those tantalums and those FDH33 diodes.

You might consider sending one in for repair.

Mike

Hairball Audio said:
Ya I'm stumped.  Check the polarity on those tantalums and those FDH33 diodes.

You might consider sending one in for repair.

Mike

Dang. I pulled one of the diodes and it measues open one way, and ~3meg the other way. does this sound right?

Will

wmjohnson said:
Dang. I pulled one of the diodes and it measues open one way, and ~3meg the other way. does this sound right?

Will

You should confirm with the diode test function, but that doesn't sound good.  Diodes are very easily damaged by static electricity (handling) and high heat when soldering.

http://en-us.fluke.com/training/training-library/test-tools/digital-multimeters/how-to-test-diodes-using-a-digital-multimeter.html

Hairball Audio said:
You should confirm with the diode test function, but that doesn't sound good.  Diodes are very easily damaged by static electricity (handling) and high heat when soldering.

http://en-us.fluke.com/training/training-library/test-tools/digital-multimeters/how-to-test-diodes-using-a-digital-multimeter.html

Going by the diode function, it's dead. Do ya'll have them in your store? I can't find them.

Will

Hi Mike. I’m still troubleshooting here... I checked all the connectors, and I tried disconnecting CN9 to CN8, and it still passed the same, fuzzy signal with the cable disconnected. Does that give you any idea of what could be wrong?

stringmike said:
Hi Mike.
Here’s what I measured:
TP1: 0.122V
TP15: 2.10V
Brown wire: 6.25V
Output xlr: 6.22V

Hairball Audio said:
It's a combination of the Rev A being REALLY hot by design, the natural analog meter overshoot, and the original t-pad being very hard (impossible) to mimic.

You can lower the amount of signal you send to it, or in about 1 week we are going to be posting a mod to also adjust that issue.  Basically you increase the value of R78, R19, R20, R21 to lower the amount of signal entering the side chain. Increase them all by about 5-10 x their current value to your taste.

Mike

Hi !

Coming back on this Topic after a few month of romance with my rev A.
I think its time now for switching those resistor !
Is anyone have test it? Is it working fine ? :)

While I'm here, I do have an issue with the vu meter calibration !
I have follow the step at least 3 or 4 times, and it's still the same..

At 0, my vu meter shows =1.5dB

CF pictures attached

Do you think I could just turn the front knopb with a small screwdriver? or it's something else? I'm leaving very well with it, but I'd like to have it "fixed"

Many thanks in advance
Best
Adrien

Attachments

• 1176.jpeg
    1176.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 2
stringmike said:
Hi Mike. I’m still troubleshooting here... I checked all the connectors, and I tried disconnecting CN9 to CN8, and it still passed the same, fuzzy signal with the cable disconnected. Does that give you any idea of what could be wrong?

What's the issue? The signal is fuzzy?

Is the unit compressing?

Sinkia said:
Hi !

Coming back on this Topic after a few month of romance with my rev A.
I think its time now for switching those resistor !
Is anyone have test it? Is it working fine ? :)

While I'm here, I do have an issue with the vu meter calibration !
I have follow the step at least 3 or 4 times, and it's still the same..

At 0, my vu meter shows =1.5dB

CF pictures attached

Do you think I could just turn the front knopb with a small screwdriver? or it's something else? I'm leaving very well with it, but I'd like to have it "fixed"

Many thanks in advance
Best
Adrien

Just use the front zero adjust to zero your meter if it's been calibrated and drifts.

Hairball Audio said:
Are you sure you are measuring the supply test points correctly?  Measuring for DC V and using the chassis as your common? Also make sure that your PCB is mounted to the chassis with ALL 3 L brackets.

Mike

Thanks for your patience with me, Mike.

I double-checked the brackets just now, and the PCB is indeed mounted to the chassis with all 3 L brackets. I'm measuring for DC V using the chassis as my common, as you stated, and the cathode gives a bum reading. It might read something pretty miniscule for a brief moment, and then the reading descends to 0.

saqeef said:
Thanks for your patience with me, Mike.

I double-checked the brackets just now, and the PCB is indeed mounted to the chassis with all 3 L brackets. I'm measuring for DC V using the chassis as my common, as you stated, and the cathode gives a bum reading. It might read something pretty miniscule for a brief moment, and then the reading descends to 0.

With the unit OFF, what is your DC resistance (Ω) between the chassis and the center power connector at the main PCB (yellow wire)?

Mike

Hairball Audio said:
With the unit OFF, what is your DC resistance (Ω) between the chassis and the center power connector at the main PCB (yellow wire)?

Mike

The reading I get between those two points is about 0.2-0.3 ohms.

Latest posts

Back