[BUILD] New FET/RACK Official Help Thread - Please read first post!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RobertBraz said:
I believe I have isolated my issue to the input section. I am only reading 0.07VAC at TP1. I have triple-checked my solder joints on the input transformer, input pot, and Q1. Where should I look next?

It is probably worth noting that I'm not getting any voltage at any of the other test points in that section of the troubleshoot guide (TP15, TP17, output transformer BRN).

RobertBraz said:
It is probably worth noting that I'm not getting any voltage at any of the other test points in that section of the troubleshoot guide (TP15, TP17, output transformer BRN).

0.07 VAC is ok.

Check your transistor DC voltages in the preamp section. There is a doc in the troubleshooting guide.

Hairball Audio said:
0.07 VAC is ok.

Check your transistor DC voltages in the preamp section. There is a doc in the troubleshooting guide.

Q2, Q3, and Q14 all measure the correct amount of DC voltage across the B, C, and E pins. Q1 does not have any values displayed in the troubleshooting schematic but measures G: -2.41DC, S: 0.00DC, D: 0.00DC.

RobertBraz said:
Q2, Q3, and Q14 all measure the correct amount of DC voltage across the B, C, and E pins. Q1 does not have any values displayed in the troubleshooting schematic but measures G: -2.41DC, S: 0.00DC, D: 0.00DC.

-What is your AC V at the base of each of those transistors (Q2/Q3/Q14) under the testing (1K/0db/GR off/controls midway)?
-What is your AC V at the Drain of Q1 under the testing (1K/0db/GR off/controls midway)?

kingofspain2 said:
Mike - any ideas?

swapped everything except the input attenuation transformer and power transformer. Noise did not migrate, new 60hz noise can now be heard when output in turned down, 120hz is still present with output turned up.

Hairball Audio said:
-What is your AC V at the base of each of those transistors (Q2/Q3/Q14) under the testing (1K/0db/GR off/controls midway)?
-What is your AC V at the Drain of Q1 under the testing (1K/0db/GR off/controls midway)?

Q2: 0.022 VAC
Q3: 0.000 VAC
Q14: 0.000 VAC

Q1: 0.067 VAC

New Rev. A built today. Issues:

- Vu meter doesn't go on the right when in GR mode (completely not moving in GR) but works in output mode
- Output knob is scratching a lot and has some crazy spikes in volume when moving (reflected also on the vu meter when in output mode)
- There's hum in the signal

I'm having very low voltages at TP1, TP15 and TP17. Are they consequential?  From the troubleshooting guide I get this explanations for low voltages on TP1: Tpad, Input transformer, Q1.
The Tpad seems to work, I can barely hear the 1kHz input from the signal generator and it changes when going from ccw to cw. How can I understand if the issue is on the input trafo or Q1? I don't see any voltages to check for Q1 on the troubleshooting guide.
Hope someone could help me. Thanks.

RobertBraz said:
Rev D. Bought it a few months ago so it is the newest version.

Tripple check all of these values and confirm continuity from pad to pad.  Something is up in here.  Make sure that trimmer is the correct value too. Make sure C2 (and anything else) isn't shorted across it's pads.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 7.23.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 7.23.20 PM.png
    188 KB · Views: 5
Hairball Audio said:
Tripple check all of these values and confirm continuity from pad to pad.  Something is up in here.  Make sure that trimmer is the correct value too. Make sure C2 (and anything else) isn't shorted across it's pads.

Seeing a couple of weird things. R4 is reading as 12.4 ohms instead of 270 ohms. Color code checks out so could it just be bad? And I have no continuity from R5 to R8 with C1 metering at 0.4 ohms.

RobertBraz said:
Seeing a couple of weird things. R4 is reading as 12.4 ohms instead of 270 ohms. Color code checks out so could it just be bad? And I have no continuity from R5 to R8 with C1 metering at 0.4 ohms.

You can't measure resistors in circuit without doing the parallel math.  Trust the codes or lift a leg and measure.

Reflow joints in that section. You sad all of your transistor DC voltages checkout?  Do you have AC at the Drain of where Q1 would be with test signal?

Mike

Hairball Audio said:
You can't measure resistors in circuit without doing the parallel math.  Trust the codes or lift a leg and measure.

Reflow joints in that section. You sad all of your transistor DC voltages checkout?  Do you have AC at the Drain of where Q1 would be with test signal?

Mike

Yes, transistor DC voltages check out. AC at drain of Q1 is 0.058V with Q1 removed.

Back