[BUILD] New FET/RACK Official Help Thread - Please read first post!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mixguy said:
This is crazy. Retested and now 30v test point is now .015V and Cr9 is .56 V

You got all 3 L Brackets tight and secure?  They are part of the grounding.

What is your DC on either of this 1/2W 1k ohm Rs?

Mike

Thanks Mike. The fuse was not properly seated. Now all voltages are correct. Unbelievable how it's the simplest things that trips you up sometimes. Thanks again.

mixguy said:
Thanks Mike. The fuse was not properly seated. Now all voltages are correct. Unbelievable how it's the simplest things that trips you up sometimes. Thanks again.

Glad you found it! I'm taking the rest of the day off ;)

Mike

Hairball Audio said:
Definitely something in your GR Meter Driver Amp section.  You've been through that a few times?

Mike

Just wanted to give an update that all is well. I did the calibration over several times, and it turns out that I wasn't picky enough with the null adjust. Hopefully this helps someone...then there will be some sort of redemption for my sheepish posture.

Mike I just wanted to say thanks again for the help . I have a UA 1176 and I like the sound of this build better.

Attachments

• 1176.jpg
    1176.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 5
Hello,

I have a bult Rev A Rack unit, properly calibrated and was running some tracks through. To me it sounds like a very high pitched DC noise of sorts when turning up the output. Also, the low end was completely out of the passed signal, like a high pass filter.
- Checked proper grounding of rack, its fine
- Power Supply section A ok.
- Q bias voltage checked out perfectly
When checking the Amplification stage, the AC readings were quite less than published on the troubleshooting guide
      - TP1  -  0.071
      - TP15 - 2.896
      - TP17 - 0.356
      - BRWN T - 5.54
      - Output  -  5.53

Since I did check the Qbias volts before doing the Amplification Stage check, I didn't know if referencing the Unbiased numbers listed in the Amplification stage check was correct?
It should also be noted I did a number on the PCB when soldering Q6. The middle pad fell off, I measured the continuity as listed in your previous reply, and it checked out.

"There should be traces coming from the middle pad of Q6 (base). They may be on the top of the PCB. In this case, looking at the schematic there should be continuity from the base of Q6 to the emitter of Q5 and that's it.  Look for continuity there. If there is no continuity you need to connect them with something like a 22AWG solid core wire."

If the low readings in the amplification stage could be related I am willing to try the 22AWG gauge if it seems necessary? As always, thanks for the help!

cmac said:
Hello,

I have a bult Rev A Rack unit, properly calibrated and was running some tracks through. To me it sounds like a very high pitched DC noise of sorts when turning up the output. Also, the low end was completely out of the passed signal, like a high pass filter.
- Checked proper grounding of rack, its fine
- Power Supply section A ok.
- Q bias voltage checked out perfectly
When checking the Amplification stage, the AC readings were quite less than published on the troubleshooting guide
      - TP1  -  0.071
      - TP15 - 2.896
      - TP17 - 0.356
      - BRWN T - 5.54
      - Output  -  5.53

Since I did check the Qbias volts before doing the Amplification Stage check, I didn't know if referencing the Unbiased numbers listed in the Amplification stage check was correct?
It should also be noted I did a number on the PCB when soldering Q6. The middle pad fell off, I measured the continuity as listed in your previous reply, and it checked out.

"There should be traces coming from the middle pad of Q6 (base). They may be on the top of the PCB. In this case, looking at the schematic there should be continuity from the base of Q6 to the emitter of Q5 and that's it.  Look for continuity there. If there is no continuity you need to connect them with something like a 22AWG solid core wire."

If the low readings in the amplification stage could be related I am willing to try the 22AWG gauge if it seems necessary? As always, thanks for the help!

Ya could be a lot of things.  I would check continuity through the 2 amp stages and hard wire anything damaged.

Also run that same test above with like a 200Hz signal and 10KHz signal and see where they start to differ.

Mike

Hi guys,
I'm having an issue on a Rev. D build. I was able to do everything, from Q Bias setting to Null Adjust and - 10 vu meter reduction. Problem is that when I patch the compressor, with or without compression active, the sound is completely without bass. Sound is only on mid frequencies. Where could I start troubleshooting?

frenkonio said:
Hi guys,
I'm having an issue on a Rev. D build. I was able to do everything, from Q Bias setting to Null Adjust and - 10 vu meter reduction. Problem is that when I patch the compressor, with or without compression active, the sound is completely without bass. Sound is only on mid frequencies. Where could I start troubleshooting?

I would triple check all of your capacitors values, particularly the small blue ones in the amp sections.

Report back.

Mike

Hairball Audio said:
I would triple check all of your capacitors values, particularly the small blue ones in the amp sections.

Report back.

Mike
You mean the small blue ceramic caps?

frenkonio said:
You mean the small blue ceramic caps?

Yes sir.

In general, check all of the components in the line and signal amp boxes.  A mis-placed cap and/or resistor can make a high pass filter.

Mike

Back