Groove Tubes GT55 circuit mods

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, Friends!

I have a pair of old Groove Tubes GT55 mics that were pretty good when I bought them, but being compared to some really nice mics that I'm building now, they don't seem to hold up in comparison. Even the cheap Chinese mics that I've modded seem to be more preferred. Aside from changing out the capsule, I was wondering if anyone has had any success altering the circuit to make noticeable sonic improvements. I saw an old thread on here from quite a ways back, but there were no conclusions posted.

Thanks!

Paul

Judging only by pics and some informations about it :)
http://cdn.recordinghacks.com/images//mic_extras/groovetubes/GT55-pcb.jpg
Measure polarisation voltage at the second pin (from the left) on the four-pin connector.
Remove resonator disk and replace it with standard capsule connector.
Remove capacitors between two 1G ohm resistors.
Connect diaphragm wire to the 1Gohm resistor on the right (with Fet gate connected).
Connect backplate to the 1Gohm resistor on the left.
Swap transformer wires.
Find output capacitor.
There's few other options of improvement but at least i need to know what the value of polrisation voltage.

Thanks for the info!

It'll probably be first half of next week before I can dig into this thing. I'll send you the polarization voltage as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Paul

Don't worry about the time, when you will be ready, just back to the topic.
Good pics of the tracks sides on both PCBs would be great ;)

What don't you like about the GT55?
That will give ideas for what could be adjusted

I have a few sterling microphones that surprised me with how good they sounded. I bought them just for the body and I left them alone for now thinking about what to adjust.  The bias of the n channel and pnp was good. 

What is the capsule charge voltage?
Look at the China n channel, pnp circuit that should help trace this circuit

Measure it again at empty pin where is R2 marking and check voltage before and after D1.
To have sure ;)

I will look at the pics tomorrow with fresh look, now going sleep.
You can make deemphasis circuit to damp high frequencies :)

For quick - it looks like output capacitor is at the bottom check what's the value.

If you would like to use deemphasis network there will be also need good pics of the switches board.
Overall it's adding of three (or even two) resistors and three capacitors. 
Then you will don't have to change the capsule.

Check also are the two capacitors (ceramic probably) soldered direct on XLR pins - you will have to take off metal cover for transformer. If so, you can remove both as also R12 nd R13 (put jumpers instead).

Now am going sleep :D

Here's a pic of what the capsule looked like when I took off the HF disk. It seems to have the tiniest tear, but this is completely covered up when I put a new diagram connector on it. I reused the brass washer as before.

I did all the initial changes in the earlier post to one of the GT55's, and it has noticeably lower output than stock, and when I bring up the gain there is a 60Hz hum that can be heard. But this is probably because I haven't finished doing the other steps that you just posted. I'll give those a go and see what happens.

Thanks!

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
The cap at the bottom center is 10uF 50V.

The Voltage at the R2 pad is 38.3. The side of D1 facing the transformer is 20.6 and the side towards the capsule is 20.4.

Keeping the same capsule would be great. I'll working on getting you the other pictures.

Thanks!

Paul

GT55.doc in my Yahoo MicBuilders Files has some recommendations for circuit mods.

Mainly to reduce noise & increase headroom

You have to join

Ricardo,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to keep down the path I've started and keeping the other GT55 I have stock as the control for this experiment. Maybe when I get this done I can do your mod and compare. Would you mind emailing it to me?

Thanks!

Paul

Back