OPINIONS ABOUT AT4060

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SUPERMAGOO

i think that the at4060 is an interesting studio mic, why peolpe doesen´t know it :? .i compare it an u47 w/vf14.the neuman take a first place for a little, but 8000uss VS 1200uss :!: .

[quote author="SUPERMAGOO"]i think that the at4060 is an interesting studio mic, why peolpe doesen´t know it :? .i compare it an u47 w/vf14.the neuman take a first place for a little, but 8000uss VS 1200uss :!: .[/quote]

I for one has used the AT-4060 quite a bit...for the money it rather difficult to beat..Its a very good mic imho..I used it for some vocals..acc guitar, double bass, drum oh´s, piano..

Kind regards

Peter

Lots of ppl know how good the 4060 is! Let all the wankers crap on about their Rode mics etc, I just laugh at them and the way they carry on, idiots! They wouldn't know a good mic if it got shoved up their .....!

Is the 4060 the tube one with the 6dj8 type tube?

I have not heard a 4060 next to a known good microphone(a brauner VM1 etc) but 6dj8 based microphones Rode NTK K2 and 6dj8 circuits I have built in microphones just don't sound right.

I have read the EAR microphone uses a 6dj8 But I would guess there might be some solid state in it.

Henry there is a good stock rode microphone the NTV.

Does the 4060 uses the same capsule as the 4040?

I have two AT4060's and find them excellent on most everything (drum overheads, room mics, pianos, ac. gtrs, vocals, group vocals, hand percussion........)

The 4060 uses a 6922 vacuum tube and is transformer-balanced, unlike most all other AT4xxx models (except the AT4047 and AT4041 which have transformers). The capsule in the 4060 is the same 2-micron capsule used in the 4047, which is also a fantastic mic, and, in my opinion, a 'no-brainer' for the money.

The noise of the 4060 is extremely low, and the output is quite hot (I pad this mic more than any other I own.... and I have a lot of mics). They can also stand a tremendous amount of SPL, though you will need a pad when tracking loud sounds. The tone is silky and smooth and even lush, but not too colored, and it is very 'fast' with transients. A great all-purpose carioid for studio use.

My 2 cents.

JC

FWIW I put a Jan 6922 in my K2 to replace the china 6n11. It is maybe a little more detailed but still does not sound "right' It is smooth but seems to lack "fine detail". Both tubes are low noise and smooth.

6dj8/6922 and 6n11 and russian ones are suppose to be close.

What is the russian 6dj8/6922 a 6H23n?

6dj8/6922 and 6n11 and russian ones are suppose to be close.

What is the russian 6dj8/6922 a 6H23n?

Yes, it is 6H23P ('P' =cyrillics 'n')
6N1P is also very close, much better sounding to my ears, but with higher filament rating.

IMO, these tubes are not the best solution for a mic, and one of their problems is a low input impedance. But there are ways around :wink:

The AT 40 condenser mics are a class above any Rode mic or chinese equivalent. Did an a/b with 2 Rode mics and sold the Rodes the next day. In fact a Studio supplier did the same thing with 4060 just b4 christmas and he said exactly the same thing to me.

The main difference is the quality of the capsule. The AT range has heaps more detail and better output etc. The thing that is so stupid is that the Rode and AT 40 mics are about the same price now, even cheaper on Ebay!

Do an A/B and you'll never go back to Rode at those prices they are poor value. When the AT 4033 came out (1994?) they were compared to U87's and ppl kept saying the U87 is a better mic blah blah blah. Which is true, but its not that much better, thats how good the AT 4033 is! So they have had this 'not so good as' reputation, a tad bright...etc. But unlike Rode, etc they are the real deal. They're not Rolls Royce, more like a Jaguar. Rode is Mini Minor, the K2 is Mini Cooper Sports! So what!

I am not sure why we started talking about Rode when original question was about AT4060. Anyway, street price for the K2 is $699, and AT4060 $1099. I think it is unfair to compare them.

having a couple of 4033's I can only ad to this that I use them for almost every drumrecording and sometimes on female vox as they then just feel better then my Neumann's. Not always of course....

I don't know how a 4033 compares to a 4060 or 4050, but as soon as my budget allows I want to check these out, definately!

Tony

I've seen the 4060 go for around $750 New on Ebay, got my 4033a for $179 USD 2nd hand on Ebay. AT4040 is about $250. 4050 for about $500 new. These are mics you find in top shelf studios which get used everyday and you won't need to upgrade them ever. Done the math now?

I've got a 4060....it sees more use than my U87ai!

The 4060 has a nice big proximity boost, and sounds extended in the high frequencies without sounding harsh, or "EQ'd". It's kind of ambiguious in the low mids, but I think that's part of its charm.

I use mine for vocals often...and if I find another, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for overheads.

Cheers,

Kris

Henry

Please go thur the microphone metas to read and see what some of us have done. You are talking about some taste issues. Some of the ATs are not LD but SD with a baffle.

I own a few Rodes and ATs as well as as some very good microphones bought or built. I have a NTV that is a nice microphone. The K2 is not up to my standards stock out of the box, but it is a good smooth sounding microphone. I have two 4033s( they sit on a shelf) and have worked on others ATs like the 4040 again a OK microphones. Remember is does seem to matter what pre you are using.

Alot of this is TASTE and there is no good or bad

Yes, and taste usually changes again when you try and fit the track into the mix. I can't count the times I thought a certain mic sounded wonderful soloed, but was horrible in the mix, and vise versa.

The only mics I hear something about in my circles is the NT4 and the Classic. The Classic has always had a top shelf diaphram etc the NT4 has a sound they say for pianos, location stage work etc.

If the other stuff was priced better I might agree but I just think they're poor value in 2005. Their are easily better mics for the same money, eg AT40 range.

Even if you have a large collection of top shelf mics the AT40 range mics are still a 'go to' mic. It would be very difficlt to say that about a Rode mic apart from the 2 I just mentioned. The NT1 had value when it first came out, heck, I bought one too, but now I can get an AT4040 for less even and it's twice as good.

[quote author="Gus"]I have two 4033s( they sit on a shelf)[/quote]

Hey, same here. Have you ever tried modding them to improve the sound? Do you think the problem is the weird capsule design or might there be something that could be done to the circuit?

Latest posts

Back