OPINIONS ABOUT AT4060

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nat

I opened the 4033s. The parts are good so I don't think any part changes will make a difference with the stock circuit.

One could install a tube or solid state circuit in it: however the capsule could be a part of the "sound". I am not a fan of the side address small dia capsule with a larger dia ring baffle microphones. That why I never modded them.

I keep finding I like LD condensers better than SD most of the time.

[quote author="Gus"]...I keep finding I like LD condensers better than SD most of the time.[/quote]Me too. I have a few MC012s and 603s that I've modified and played around with, but once I started laying down tracks the LDs won out every time. My matched pair of modified 603s are for sale.

[quote author="Flatpicker"][quote author="Gus"]...I keep finding I like LD condensers better than SD most of the time.[/quote]Me too. I have a few MC012s and 603s that I've modified and played around with, but once I started laying down tracks the LDs won out every time. My matched pair of modified 603s are for sale.[/quote]

I saw you selling those, and I was under the impression it was to move up the SDC food chain. Interesting comments - even on the typical SDC tasks (overheads, acoustic guitars) you're finding the big caps are fitting better?

Bear

AT-4060 is uncomparable to any rode Mic !

I own 2 of them ( have 1 new for sale if anyone in europe is interested ! :grin: )

I've been using it for 3 years and it sounds fantastic !
I've compared it to a U87 and the AT sounded better to me !

You can use it on anything !
Sax, trumpet, double bass, Vocals, Ac. Gtr, and most of all, it sounds great on a Bass drum ( used with a Beta 52 inside and AT outside )

the definition of the low frequencies is great !
I have many recordings with that Mic and a poor Ramsa DA7 preamp.
I'm building the G9 to go with it and am sure it will sound awesome.
:wink:

[quote author="Bear"]I saw you selling those, and I was under the impression it was to move up the SDC food chain. Interesting comments - even on the typical SDC tasks (overheads, acoustic guitars) you're finding the big caps are fitting better?[/quote]For what I'm doing (bluegrass) my modified MXL V93 is working best on just about everything. It's the only mic I have that sounds "open". It just puts more space around the sound and seems more real. Must be the 3 micron 797 capsule. The cap mods really open it up.

Every time I hear samples of Neumanns vs. brand X Chinese mics, the Neumann's always have this characteristic and the others don't. It's funny because most people buying Chinese mics don't seem to hear this. Once you can hear it, it's hard to settle for anything else. Not saying my V93 is as good as the big "N", but it's the closest thing I can afford at the moment.

BTW, the modified 603s are very good sounding mics for the money, just not working for my app (I sold them this week). I still have a couple of MC012s and will probably get a pair of Studio Projects C4s when I can afford them. I keep hearing that they are great for bluegrass instruments.

[quote author="Marik"]I am not sure why we started talking about Rode when original question was about AT4060. Anyway, street price for the K2 is $699, and AT4060 $1099. I think it is unfair to compare them.[/quote]

You're right, it's not really fair to compare them.
But people always do for some reason. It's common for people to jump into these threads and say "Get the K2, it's just as good for $300 less." Perhaps whoever mentioned the Rode initially was just heading it off at the pass.

For my money, I'd probably pay the extra $300 to be sure.
But that's because I had an early NT1 from '97 (expensive then) and it was awful sounding. And AT40 series have been used in every studio my band has used with good results.

(BTW - for anyone looking, Zzounds.com has the 4060 for US$999 with free shipping.)

kato

who said anything about price?

If you go to the AT site there is a cutway picture. I don't understand how it is a LD it looks like a SD with a baffle.

I have not heard a tube microphone with a 6dj8 that sounded right

I guess I need to find an AT4060 to hear what peaople are talking about I have heard 4033s and a 4040.

[quote author="Gus"]kato

who said anything about price?
[/quote]
Marik did.
[quote author="Gus"]
I guess I need to find an AT4060 to hear what peaople are talking about I have heard 4033s and a 4040.[/quote]

I believe the 4060 is a true LD. But I'm not sure.
Is this what they mean by "with a baffle?" I honestly can't tell if this is a "pseudo LD" or not.

4060.jpg

Sadly the best price i can find a 4060 for in the uk is1300 us dollars. :shock:
Vikki(uk)

Just picked up a AT4060 without power supply very cheap (I got the cord with it) and asked on another thread on this forum if anyone had the schematic for the power supply. There was a schematic of the actual mic on that thread and I could probably come up with a working supply with that but was wondering if anyone either has a p/s schematic or the pinout/voltages off their supply (why reinvent the wheel?). The schematic of the 4060 that was posted here on this forum is rather hard to read and was having a bit of a problem reading pin numbers.
Thanks for any help....
TP

nice microphone cheap without a power supply is a warning.

I have been told by people over the years that when a powered tube condenser microphone is stolen the power supply is often left behind.

However the older German tube microphones for sale often don't have a power supply because they might have come from a facility that had a central power supply. This is if the information I have heard is correct

Hi Gus...Thanks for the warning! I know the guy that I bought it from very well, though. He had bought it in an estate sale from a musician who passed away recently (actually I think it was an auction) and the power supply was probably sold in another box of stuff. The guy I bought it from tried to locate it but couldn't find it. That's the problem buying stuff at an auction sometimes, especially of a deceased person...the person who's still alive (usually a clueless wife or husband) and the auctioneer don't always know what they are selling and parts of "sets" end up getting seperated and sold that way...I'm just glad that the mic still had it's cord...that would be a tough one to find.
Test Point

Test point, give Audio Technica a call....they'll sell you a PS, I'm sure, and it probably won't be all that expensive.

For the UK folks, yeah the 4060 is nice, but not 1500+ Euros nice! Check ebay and the used market. These sell in North America for around $700 USD, and given the high value of the Euro compared to the USD, you can probably get two for the cost of one new one bought locally.

Cheers,

Kris

Kris,
I had actually thought of that :? I bought a Groove Tubes AM61 a few years back from Apex Jr....I guess G/T surplused them off because they had more mic's than power supplies and I built one for that mic. I had considered just using that supply and adding another connector onto the chassis that would mate with the 4060 cable but I need to check the voltages on the AM61 supply...I don't remember what they were. The 4060 appears to use 120vdc on the plate and filament voltage is 6.3v. I'll see if I can dig out that schematic and see. Mabe, with any luck, the voltages will match up
Cheers
TP

madreza

I don't think you will get an answer here for that type question.

The three microphones have three different capsules and electronics. You realy need to try them out.

Latest posts

Back