YAMAHA SPX1000 startup problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolo-m

I've got an old SPX1000 that doesn't start up now...
First, after pressing the ON switch waking up was long, then it became longer and longer.Afer that everything was good untill next power on.
Now, the initialisation never ends and the unit seams to be in a startup loop with some quick message on the LCD then nothing and again message then nothing and again and again...
I'm suspecting the PSU (european model) but I don't understand how it works and where to put a probe and read something I can understand...

If someone knows, please tell me. Thanks !

Walrus said:
Replace all the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. That cures most SPX90/1000 problems.

I should have the good caps to do that... I will try and I'll tell you back.
If someone have another idea, don't hesitate to post there.

Walrus said:
Replace all the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. That cures most SPX90/1000 problems.
Agreed, but first check the 3V coin cell, a dead battery will also keep it from booting.

Then you'll need to reinitialize, three buttons held in while powering on, don't remember which ones

I changed the battery in one of these a few months ago, similar symptoms, wouldn't boot.

Gene

Gene Pink said:
but first check the 3V coin cell, a dead battery will also keep it from booting.

Then you'll need to reinitialize, three buttons held in while powering on, don't remember which ones

I changed the battery in one of these a few months ago, similar symptoms, wouldn't boot.

Gene

I did the battery change 2 months before the fail. BTW, I installed a cell holder to change easily the battery with a classic one (cheaper and easy to find in the closest supermarket) without having to unsolder the old to solder the new.

So I did change the 3 electrolytics in the 5V PSU. And IT WORKS again !!! Like a brand new one !

Many many thanks.

lolo-m said:
BTW, I installed a cell holder to change easily the battery with a classic one (cheaper and easy to find in the closest supermarket) without having to unsolder the old to solder the new.

Yeah, me too, same reasons, plus a lot less disassembly to get to the solder side every 20 years, that would get tiresome.

Did you find a holder with the same lead spacing?

So I did change the 3 electrolytics in the 5V PSU. And IT WORKS again !!! Like a brand new one.

Glad to hear it.

Durn cheap lithium cells, 20 years, and that's it?
;-)

Gene

Gene Pink said:
Yeah, me too, same reasons, plus a lot less disassembly to get to the solder side every 20 years, that would get tiresome.

Did you find a holder with the same lead spacing?

Yes and no : if I remember well lead spacing was OK but the holder is bigger than the previous cell so it's a bit tilted.

Notice:
Major advantage of the cell holder is that you can change the cell with power on and you don't loose user memories.
Disadvantage is that it's not safe to go on tour with the unit because cell can fall with roads vibrations. Mine stays in the studio's rack so I don't care.

lolo-m said:
Notice:
Major advantage of the cell holder is that you can change the cell with power on and you don't loose user memories.
Good point.
Disadvantage is that it's not safe to go on tour with the unit because cell can fall with roads vibrations. Mine stays in the studio's rack so I don't care.
After careful consideration and many sleepless nights, I have engineered a solution for this.
;-)

Gene

Attachments

• coin cell holder.jpg
    coin cell holder.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 15
Gene Pink said:
lolo-m said:
Notice:
Good point.
After careful consideration and many sleepless nights, I have engineered a solution for this.
;-)

Gene

you can buy replacements for those battery cell holders, replaced quite a few in different gear over the years

http://pt.farnell.com/multicomp/ch25-2032lf/battery-holder-dip-20mm/dp/2064715

http://pt.farnell.com/keystone/106/battery-holder-20mm-coin-cell/dp/1650672

http://pt.farnell.com/keystone/103/battery-holder-20mm-coin-cell/dp/676469

http://pt.farnell.com/keystone/101/coin-cell-holder-20mm-dia-th/dp/2533458

http://pt.farnell.com/keystone/1081/battery-holder-20mm-cell-surface/dp/1888399

Hi guys
Sorry to bring up this old thread but i need a bit of help. I have a spx 1000 too with a missing battery. But it has a few more problems. The clip led is flashing on full and it passes no audio. I'm still a noob so appreciate every help i can get.

Criss said:
Hi guys
Sorry to bring up this old thread but i need a bit of help. I have a spx 1000 too with a missing battery. But it has a few more problems. The clip led is flashing on full and it passes no audio. I'm still a noob so appreciate every help i can get.

First thing to check is measuring all the PSU voltage rails

Whoops said:
First thing to check is measuring all the PSU voltage rails
Thanks for replying.
Got a hint from a mate on another forum and measured the caps on the psu. All electrolytic ones are acting up and act more like resistors. Already made a list for ordering replacements and will report back if it sorted the problems.

Back