Modifying the studer Monitor controller

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aref

Hi,
I know that questions about monitor controller has been covered widely...but I need your opinion about this specific case.
I have an extra monitor controller module from my studer 089 mixer(The schematic is attached). It has all I need, but the multi source/speaker selectors (I need 4 balanced inputs and 4 balanced outputs). The volume pot doesn't look fancy, but I've had no problem with it on my mixer.

Any recommendation is so appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 3.31.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 3.31.33 PM.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 93
I think I'll keep the same switches on the new chaises.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 64
The volume is 2*10k
The module works with -22 v.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 37
This seems a good compliment....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Balanced-Four-Stereo-Audio-Signal-Input-Selector-Relay-Module-/201225517452

This should be ok for the unbalance to balance out.
I wish I could get a comment...

Hi Aref

I'm not really sure to understand what you try to achieve here ?
4in/4out at you x89 monitoring section ?

Best
Zam

It's not related to my mixer. This is a spare controller module, which I want to make a standalone monitor controller in a rack with.

Hi

Ok I got it now.
So yes, you need an input selector for source, a debalancing section, the passive studer module, a balancing section and then again a selector for output.
The relay board you show should work both way as selector.

Best
Zam

This is another way for balancing...
https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/pages/balanced-input-output-assembly-guide

Silly, but this is what I was looking for all this time!
https://www.eeweb.com/blog/extreme_circuits/balanced-unbalanced-converter-for-audio-work

Now looking for a subwoofer mono out circuit. Meters and the best headphone amp for this box!

Anything else?

Aref said:
Hi,
I know that questions about monitor controller has been covered widely...but I need your opinion about this specific case.
I have an extra monitor controller module from my studer 089 mixer(The schematic is attached). It has all I need, but the multi source/speaker selectors (I need 4 balanced inputs and 4 balanced outputs). The volume pot doesn't look fancy, but I've had no problem with it on my mixer.

Any recommendation is so appreciated.
Regarding audio, it is a passive section. The 22V supply is needed only for the relay, which you probably don't need, because the relay is only to allow remote control of the DIM (-20dB) function. In terms of signal handling, it's perfectly adequate, as long as the inputs are debalanced and the outputs are buffered and balanced.
Bal/debal circuits are available from SSM (Analog Devices), TI (DRV series) and THAT corp.
In most cases, performance will be adequate, whatever the brand. Choice will be influenced by availability, ease of implementation and cost, more than performance.

abbey road d enfer said:
Regarding audio, it is a passive section. The 22V supply is needed only for the relay, which you probably don't need, because the relay is only to allow remote control of the DIM (-20dB) function. In terms of signal handling, it's perfectly adequate, as long as the inputs are debalanced and the outputs are buffered and balanced.
Thanks for helping
I need the 22v supply anyway for the in/out relays.
Didn't realise the outs are balanced!
Does it harm the output signal if I connect the meters and mono sub out before the output relays?

abbey road d enfer said:
You misunderstood my comment. The circuit is unbalanced, so you need to debal the inputs and bal the outs.
Sorry, my bad.

Back