stupid idea: nixie peak level display

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonzauber

I wan to build a numeric peak hold level display. Preferrably from a PCM source, but analogue would be possible as well.
So it should read the highest dB value encountered since the last reset.

For the beauty of it, I want to realise the display itself with nixie tubes.

This is just a drunken idea that came up last night... any idea of what "easy" approaches would be suitable? I have no experoence in D S P so far.

thanks,

georg

;D  Have another beer...

You want it to read out  numerical dB?

You don't need dsp for a simple meter but a microprocessor would help crunch the level in numerical dB.

JR

Hi,

I recently watched these two videos about nixie tubes, I found them very informative.

I know, this is not the direct solution to your problem but it may help your design with nixie tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jytF5bvPGcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAx4ehqRSPE

Thanks for the input

So the steps would be:

- decode AES signal to PCM
- analyze PCM data
- calculate dB value
- update & hold highest value until reset
- display output

Hm I fear I need to ask some programmer friends :)

DIR9001 + PCM3070 running a miniDSP Process flow that will do your level detection, then use an MSP430 or PIC to read the values from the PCM3070 and light up your nixies.

Rochey said:
DIR9001 + PCM3070 running a miniDSP Process flow that will do your level detection, then use an MSP430 or PIC to read the values from the PCM3070 and light up your nixies.

Or use a micro with I2S port and skip the conversion stage.

-a

Andy Peters said:
Rochey said:

-a

I wasn't even thinking of using the converters in the  PCM3070. I was thinking of the miniDSP that's inside it and having it do the weighted averaging etc.

Plus, which small and simple micro's have I2S ports on them?

/R

Rochey said:
Andy Peters said:
Rochey said:

-a

I wasn't even thinking of using the converters in the  PCM3070. I was thinking of the miniDSP that's inside it and having it do the weighted averaging etc.

Plus, which small and simple micro's have I2S ports on them?

/R
The microchip pic I used have I2s but is suspect most do...

What kind of weighted averaging do you need for a peak hold? PPM is something like 4mSec attack which isn't that hard to do (I've done that on simple RISC platform along with other stupid meter tricks).

I haven't tried to strip levels from AES digital but probably not rocket science.

JR

> numeric peak hold level display. ...analogue would be possible..., I want to realise the display itself with nixie tubes.

How is this different from an early Nixie DVM?

OK, you ask for a fancier AD/DC converter than most bench meters. And you want a LOG conversion in front. For modest shirt-sleeve accuracy, a couple diodes will do.

Heath made a 2-1/2 digit Nixie DMM. Simple, elegant.

H-P and all the big boys made Nixie DMMs for a while.

eBay!

Back