Helios 69 in Double500 format

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pahstah

Hi everybody!

i've been able to put the infamous helios design in my double500 format. here are some pictures:

DSC0037.jpg

DSC0033.jpg

DSC0030_1.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

Paolo

I believe they are. In the earlier thread on this project it shows 2 regular 500 series modules fitted in one of those slots and their faceplates where touching.

Potato Cakes said:
I believe they are. In the earlier thread on this project it shows 2 regular 500 series modules fitted in one of those slots and their faceplates where touching.

That's what I thought but I just wanted to check. I like the way he has some toggle switches just poking their noses throught the front panel.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Potato Cakes said:

That's what I thought but I just wanted to check. I like the way he has some toggle switches just poking their noses throught the front panel.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian, you do stand correct this module is 6u tall 266mm or 10,5 inches and 38,1 mm wide ( 1,5 inches ).

desol said:
No kidding. That desk is amazing. Really nice...

Thank you desol

Potato Cakes said:
This entire project looks amazing.

I guess the only question most of us have is will these components ever be available for sale?

Thanks!

Paul

hi Paul, i'm trying to create a modular system with this format, but it's very time consuming, and eventually i will be able to make this project available for sale i really want it to be perfect without errors on pcbs or in the mechanical parts.

Paolo

Paolo,
I just wanted to say that this is just so extraordinary.  Every part.  It definitely sits up there with my favorite groupdiy members projects.  Good job man. Seriously. 
Cheers
Dylan

WOW, looks very cool!
I can see that you used Sowter Lustraphone transformer. As this pre utilize PAD with switching secondary winding, I heard a story that with pad engaged  preamp sound nicer, true?)
Which preamp sch do you used in your realisation? This one(attached)?

dirty1_1garry said:
WOW, looks very cool!
I can see that you used Sowter Lustraphone transformer. As this pre utilize PAD with switching secondary winding, I heard a story that with pad engaged  preamp sound nicer, true?)
Which preamp sch do you used in your realisation? This one(attached)?

Hi dirty1_1garry,
i really dig the sound of this preamp, definitely different from the neve, i've used it to track and mix a tune from my band, i will post a link to the song when i get the time.
the schemo is this one:
Helios69schemeversion2.jpg

[/quote]
Rocinante said:
Paolo,
I just wanted to say that this is just so extraordinary.  Every part.  It definitely sits up there with my favorite groupdiy members projects.  Good job man. Seriously. 
Cheers
Dylan

Hi Dylan, thank you for the kind words. i'm currently working at version 2 of the mixer, but i'm going very slowly in order to have zero errors in the pcbs, because in the first prototype i'v had a lot of fixes to do on the pcbs.

Truly Amazing! A fine bit of work. And the concept of the double decker 500 rack, wow. You need to post a song recorded and mixed on that machine.

Are the PCB-layouts, BOM and/or gerberfiles published somewhere.
I am interested in the whole machine.

Jano1954 said:
Are the PCB-layouts, BOM and/or gerberfiles published somewhere.
I am interested in the whole machine.

This is a proto, lots of errors in it. I took me lots of time to fix everything so i didn't published anything. I'm working on version 2, i will triple check every trace this time.

https://soundcloud.com/paolo-stabellini/music-from-the-stratosphere

Here is the link to a song that i tracked and mixed with my mixer. Drums were recorded through helios, bass through api, guitars and vox through neve.  The song was tracked live except for vox and acoustic guitars that were overdubbed. During mix i used an la audio stereo comp for drums and vox parallel compression, and a vari mu for guitars and bass parallel compression. On the two bus i had a GSSL with turbo mod.

Looks amazing. It reminds me physically of the Trident Fleximix - both have a wooden front buffer, flat top surface and recess toggle switches. It looks very clean & tidy and is, I imagine, nice to use for that reason

Nick Froome

pvision said:
Looks amazing. It reminds me physically of the Trident Fleximix - both have a wooden front buffer, flat top surface and recess toggle switches. It looks very clean & tidy and is, I imagine, nice to use for that reason

Nick Froome

Thank you! I'm very happy with the results, my original idea was to reunite under the same device some of the classic equipment of the golden age of rock music. I wanted to have the sounds right from the source so i went for a tracking mixer, but it serves well at mixdown too

Paolo

DSC0008.jpg

i think this image should be the one that you mean.
now i'm working on version two of the mixer, shorter and deeper channel module, only four subgroup and four auxes, but transformers for two bus and subgroups: in this version i had no space for trafos on them, i should have drawn the master section first!!!

Paolo

Back