Tbone mic PSU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one. It is not bad. I changed the zeners, because I needed 105 V for my microphone.
Also the 6.3V was as bit on the high side. (6.7 V)
It has a standard (E-I) transformer.
They use a 7806 regulator, but the output is 'lifted' 0.7 V by using a diode in the ground leg of the 7806.
I simply added a 1 ohm resistor in series with the filament voltage, this brought the voltage at the end of the cable to 6.3 V.
The power supply looks good, although it would have even been better if there wasn't 'TBone' printed on it...  :p

I've actually had my eye on those for a while now - can you get a multipattern tube mic for any cheaper? :D

Can't really say i "need" them yet, but as soon as i scrape together some disposable income, i'm planning on grabbing a pair.

Considering my mic collection, i couldn't give a toss about the brand - "it's how you use it" ;) (especially post-modding :p )

RuudNL said:
I have one. It is not bad. I changed the zeners, because I needed 105 V for my microphone.
Also the 6.3V was as bit on the high side. (6.7 V)
It has a standard (E-I) transformer.
They use a 7806 regulator, but the output is 'lifted' 0.7 V by using a diode in the ground leg of the 7806.
I simply added a 1 ohm resistor in series with the filament voltage, this brought the voltage at the end of the cable to 6.3 V.
The power supply looks good, although it would have even been better if there wasn't 'TBone' printed on it...  :p

Thanks, I was curious if it has at least a good quality mains transfomer like the alctron - I have my own CNC'ed PSU house, but sometimes I need something cheap for a project,etc...

Out of sheer curiosity, how does one judge transformer quality?

I mean, as long as it puts out the current(s) you need, and doesn't buzz / rattle itself apart...

TLRT said:
Thanks, I was curious if it has at least a good quality mains transfomer like the alctron - I have my own CNC'ed PSU house, but sometimes I need something cheap for a project,etc...

Back