Optical compression in the EU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it only an EU issue, not happening in the US?

Which optos are good to stock while we still can? Maybe the  VTL5C4/2 for the DAOC and are there any other types typically used?

And there's no silly workaround I believe? Some years ago smoking in bars was forbidden here - exept for specially declared places. Now all bars are having this special declaration and everything is kindof back to what it was. Also when leaded solder became forbidden it was unavailable for a while, but now it's back - for whatever reason.

Michael

gyraf said:
Yes, Fender vibrato opto's are out as well...

Jakob E.
So does that mean an EU band leaving the area and returning couldn't take the amp back into the EU? Is this going to be as bad as the ivory ban?

Even the Heathkit TA-27 guitar amplifier used an optoresistor unit for its (correctly labeled) tremolo. Back then they used small incandescent bulbs instead of LEDs for the light. Remarkably, I haven't heard of anyone wanting to use incandescent bulbs instead of LEDs in these things.

> Is it only an EU issue, not happening in the US?

It is a Global Market. And very small. If EU is out, then nobody wants to be bothered making these things. Oh, a few Chinese shops with no experience and poor consistency.

The better quality wah pedals use (used?) LDRs too, with a lamp and a moving tapered slot.

Here's a Cadmium Sulphide device which claims RoHS compliance - http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Adafruit/161/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsMyYRRhGMFNjJ4v76xuQwF5UAWXfZy1B4%3d

And another device (using different tech) that might be usable - http://www.jprelec.co.uk/store.asp/c=1868/Ambient-Light-Sensor-%28RoHS%29

Another - http://cpc.farnell.com/velleman-sa/ldr04/photoresistor-ldr-2-20k-dia-4mm/dp/SC13485

Or, being made in Hong Kong, is this a non-starter?

Michael Tibes said:
Lots of modern git amps use optos for channel switching, incl. Boogie.

Michael
If all they're doing is on/off switching, they can probably use cheap ones rather than the (recently defunct) Vactrol brand, as the actual timing doesn't much matter as long as the ON and OFF resistances meet a reasonable spec.

But then the problem here is they can't sell the design in the EU. But there are plenty of other devices that can switch audio.

> light level sensors in cameras

Went out with Mercury batteries in cameras. You are so behind the times.

And obviously electric-output "film" has the required light-level data already in easy to digest form. Also sorted by location so minor processing can give the effective White, Black, and scale values, rather than an all-over average.

PRR said:
> light level sensors in cameras

Went out with Mercury batteries in cameras. You are so behind the times.

Well, I do live in Norfolk, which most people describe as 'stuck in the 50's.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
What about light level sensors in cameras or are they all done via the CCD now?

In a digital camera, the light-level detection can be done either by the main sensor or by other sensors mounted in the camera body. Remember that if there's a mechanical shutter, the main sensor is unavailable for this function.

ruffrecords said:
Mmmmmmmmm. Depressing.
Wouldn't it be nice if, post Brexit, the UK dropped such silly ROHS requirements and the only place you could get opto compression would be in UK studios leading to a massive revival in the UK recording industry.
Ah well, you can't blame an old guy for dreaming.
Cheers

Ian

Absolutley with you there Ian, and a fine positive post brexit  "lightened" thought of the day.
Afraid a dream long gone ?

A bit of a boring subject nowadays for me personaly .......all this fuss over vintage dynamic compression techniques.

Moved on !

A central problem here is that resistive attenuation of audio is one of (if not THE) last applications of CdS that are not possible to cover in alternative ways, like with photodiode/transistor technology.

Which leaves us in this vanishing-small niche that no one in "real" industry really wants to care about.

Are you really prepared to loose this entire set of tools? I surely wouldn't want to work without optical compressors, and even though some of the plugins are nice (specially for workflow and recallability), they sure as hell aren't a match for the real thing(s).

Jakob E.

In the UK we have an on line petition system. If you can gather more than 10,000 signatures, the government guarantees to respond. Does this exist in other member states? Surely we could obtain that number of signatures from the music industry in each country. We may not get a result but at least it will bring it to the attention of the government(s). BGot to be worth trying.

Cheers

Ian

gyraf said:
No, sadly there is absolutely no ROHS-certifiable LDRs available anywhere. There has been claims of compliance from a couple of manufacturers, both were later found to be fraud (e.g. the Macron products).

As things are right now, any kind of optical compressor is banned from the European market. Yes, that includes UA, Warm and Tubetec...

On the other hand it's very unclear WHY the exemption for the small amounts of cadmium in LDR's for audio was not extended - everyone (including our government ministry of environment) tells me that it's standard policy to extend until a substitute material has been found. The sad thing is that the ban in effect killed the great Excelitas VTLxxx series.

Yes, you can still get (uncertified) Chinese lookalikes, but they are NOT at specs or tolerances anywhere near the Excelitas.

I'm currently designing a provocation named "The Cadmium Beast" or G24, a passive compressor based on a large pile of the Chinese LDR's - the poor tolerances making it necessary to use many many units in series/parallel for matching. The cells will be in a separate module that will only be leased, not sold, and which must be returned to us when we eventually come up with a substitute solution. Which could take a while, according to a material physicist I asked...  /rant 

Jakob E.

So at this point is however possible leasing a separate module with the LDR's and selling the compressor under according with the law? as it seems since only the sale of them is denied (?)

The leasing model is flaky at best - but it would support my argument that if and when a suitable substitute material is found, I'm prepared to go out of my way to use that rather than the Cadmium..

I'm preparing to file an application for exemption - I may very well need cross-EU support for the cause...

Jakob E.

Just looking at another thread reminded me that all the street lights in the UK use something similar to an ORP12 cadmium sulphide light sensor. What are they going to replace all those with?

Cheers

Ian

Back