Optical compression in the EU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you don't see the good intentions... EU wants to stop loudness wars. for a more dynamic music

in the meantime we can keep breathing those sweet diesel fumes

pucho812 said:
does the EU really check for this, or is it an honor system? the EU assumes you are doing it?

It's part of the mandatory CE and WEEE self-certification - but there are procedures for officials to check and verify (xray spectrometer) at border import customs.

I definitely think there is a problem

Jakob E.

pucho812 said:
does the EU really check for this, or is it an honor system? the EU assumes you are doing it?

Nobody checks unless someone complains. It is easy to find many audio products made outside Europe that are readily available in the EU that do not even have the CE mark on them and that is supposed to be mandatory for all goods sold in the EU,

Cheers

Ian

Someone should send to the EU a new opto guitar effect, the Magneto-Harmonix brand Elemental series, "The Cadmium."

benb said:
Someone should send to the EU a new opto guitar effect, the Magneto-Harmonix brand Elemental series, "The Cadmium."

That is part of the problem. There is no obvious place in the EU to complain to. When I tried to do this I was first advised to go to Citizens Advice because it was a complaint about a consumer product.  They decided it was not their responsibility and passed it on to trading standards. After checking the legislation for which they are responsible they decided it did not contravene any of them so they have passed it on the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). The decided it was not covered by HSE legislation so they have passed it to the Office for Product Safety and Standards. That was back in July and I have heard nothing from them yet.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
That is part of the problem. There is no obvious place in the EU to complain to. When I tried to do this I was first advised to go to Citizens Advice because it was a complaint about a consumer product.  They decided it was not their responsibility and passed it on to trading standards. After checking the legislation for which they are responsible they decided it did not contravene any of them so they have passed it on the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). The decided it was not covered by HSE legislation so they have passed it to the Office for Product Safety and Standards. That was back in July and I have heard nothing from them yet.

Cheers

Ian

If there is nowhere to complain and nobody is responsible, who will prosecute if you violate?  ;D

mjrippe said:
If there is nowhere to complain and nobody is responsible, who will prosecute if you violate?  ;D

I suspect the only people who bother are the really big companies. They almost certainly have the ear of a politician who will get it sorted for them.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:

This is actually kinda scary, isn't it? So the rules are for the common consumer to "feel good", not really ment to be resprcted when it comes down to business?

gyraf said:
This is actually kinda scary, isn't it? So the rules are for the common consumer to "feel good", not really ment to be resprcted when it comes down to business?

For the common consumer it often works very well. There are plenty of reports of customs seizing goods from China , especially toys, that are unsafe. More technical problems seem to be more difficult.

Cheers

Ian

fazer said:
Does brexit give GB the right to ignore the EU in this restriction in the future?

Quite possibly. I can see a number of pro audio shops opening up in Dover with Europeans shopping for contraband hardware in the UK in much the same way as we now shop for wine in the supermarkets of Calais.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Quite possibly. I can see a number of pro audio shops opening up in Dover with Europeans shopping for contraband hardware in the UK in much the same way as we now shop for wine in the supermarkets of Calais.

That’s a lovely image. Not so much a booze cruise as a compression procession.

Andy

TwentyTrees said:
That’s a lovely image. Not so much a booze cruise as a compression procession.

Andy

It would make a great crowd funding project. All you have to do to claim your goodies is visit the shop.

OK, hands up all those in favour of Brexit!

Cheers

Ian

mjrippe said:

I followed up on my query and today got an answer from Office for Product Safety and Standards which is part of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.  Part of their answer was:

"We assessed the information that we were provided and have liaised directly with the business in question, whom we are working with in order that they achieve compliance in this area. Unfortunately, I would not be able to go into specific outcomes for this business but you can trust that your referral was received and has been acted upon."

So they are doing something about it but you do not get to know what. However, the most important thing is they gave me a link to their online enquiry form so at least I know in the future I can go straight to the right people. I guess this process will be country specific for every country in the EU.

For those in the UK, the online enquiry for is at:

https://www.rohs.bis.gov.uk/enquiry/

Cheers

Ian

How is it possible that Warm Audio is selling wa2a on Europe as rohs compliant device? You can see on Thomann photos that it has the rohs sign printed on the chassis... (Don't know if thats enough to be considered rohs compliant)

bernatvm said:
How is it possible that Warm Audio is selling wa2a on Europe as rohs compliant device? You can see on Thomann photos that it has the rohs sign printed on the chassis... (Don't know if thats enough to be considered rohs compliant)

Good question. It is clearly in violation of ROHS. Some one if Thomann land should complain.

On a side note, anyone know where to get those lovely PCB mounting tube sockets whicj take a screening can?

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back